(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Illustrated Delhi guide: fully illustrated with coloured photoes [sic]"

Presented to the 
UBRARYofthe 
UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO 

by 

Willard G. Oxtoby 



Digitized by the Internet Archive 
in 2013 



http://archive.org/details/illustrateddelhiOOnewd 



ILLUSTRATED 

DELHI GUIDE 

Fully Illustrated with Coloured Photoes 



Published by 

LAL CHAND & SONS 

16 Daryaganj, New Delhi-1 10002 



Price J^ ;. 6 GO 



PREFACE 



Delhi the capital city of India, has its own position in the 
history of the world. In this illustrated guide book we have 
dealt also with br?ef history of the great Moghuls as it clearly 
reflect the great buildings and monuments of the city — Red 
Fort, Humayun's Tomb. Th world famous perfect Tower 
Kutub Minar, New Delhi and old and new Historical buildings. 
We are much grateful to many persons, who have helped us in 
the completion of the book. 

Attempt has been made in this book to give enough infor- 
mation for the tourist. But no claim to the finality can be 
laid. Suggestions to its improvement will be much appreciated. 



Publishers 




Printed at Jayyed Press, Ballimarar), Delhi - 6. 



CONTENTS 





Page 


Delhi-Introduction 


... 5 


Delhi through the 




Ages 


... 9 


Red Fort 


... 9 


Lahori Gate 


...10 


Delhi Gate 




Elephant Gate 


...12 


Chatta Chowk 


...12 


Naubat Khana 


...13 


Diwan-i-Am 


...13 


Qursi the Emperor's 




Seat 


...14 


Lai Pardah 


...15 


Rang Mahal 


...15 


Diwan-i-Khas 


...16 


Khas Mahal 


...18 


Nahr-i-Bahisht 


...18 


Scale of Justice 


...19 


Hammam 


...19 


Samman Burj 


..:2f> 


Moti Masjid 


...21 


Hayaat Baksh Bagh 


...22 


Sawan and Bhadon 


...22 


Zafar Mahal 


...23 


Shah Burj 


...23 


Hira Mahal 


...24 


Mumtaz Mahal 


...24 


Nahr-i-Bahisht 


...24 


Museums 


...24 


Salim Garh 


...24 


Entrance and Time to 




the Fort 


25 


Jama Masjid 


...25 


Mahatma Gandhi's 




Samadhi 


...26 


Shanti Van 


...27 





Page 


Feroz Shah Kotla 


...27 


Ashoka's Pillar 


...27 


Chandni Chowk 


...28 


Digamber Jain Lai 




Mandir 


...28 


Gauri Shanker Temple 


...28 


Gurdwara Sisganj 


...28 


Fountain 


...28 


Sunheri Masjid 


...28 


Town Hall 


...29 


Fatehpuri Mosque 


...29 


Jain Temple Dharam 




Pura 


...29 


Birla Temple 


...30 


Parliament House 


...32 


Secretariate 


...32 


Rashtrapati Bhawan 


...33 


India Gate 


..35 


National Stadium 


...36 


Radio Station 


...36 


Jantar mantar 


...37 


Connaught Place 


...38 


Safdarjung Tomb 


...38 


The Qutub minar 


...40 


Quwat-ul-Islam 




mosque 


...45 


Iron Pillar 


...46 


Alai Darwaza 


...50 


Tomb of Imam Zamin 


...51 


mughal Garden 


...51 


mughal Sarai 


...51 


Chhatri / 


...52 


Dhoop Ghari 


...52 


Lai Kot 


...52 


Rai Pithora Kot 


...52 


Tomb of Altamish 


...54 





4 


Alai minar 


Page 


...54 


Alau-ud-Din madarsa 


...54 


Ala-ud-Din Tomb 


...54 


Tomb of Kamali and 




Jamali 


...54 


Yogmaya's Temple 


...55 


Adam Khan's Tomb 


...56 


Baoli 


...56 


Dargah Qutab Sahib 


...56 


Sultan Ghori's Tomb 


...56 


Ghias-ud-Din's Tomb 


...56 


Bhim*s Chhatanki 


...57 


Tughlak Fort and 




Tomb 


...57 


Hauz Khas 


...58 


Kalkaji 


...58 


Nizam-ud-Din's Tomb 


...58 


Humayun's Tomb 


...59 


Tomb and Mosque of 




Isa Khan 


...60 


Old Fort 


...61 



Page 



Sher Shah mosque ...62 

Sher mandal ...62 

Zoo ...62 

Okhla ...62 

General Information ...62 
Transport and 

Communications ...63 

Delhi Sight Seeing ...64 
To Agra By Taj Express ...66 

Museums & ...67 

Art Galleries 

Exclusion & ...69 

Picnic Spots 

Accommodation ...71 

Other Hotels ...72 ; 

Restaurants ...73 

Cinemas ...75 

Embassies ...77 ^ 

High Commissions ,..19 ; 
Importent D.T.C. ^ 

Bus Routes ...80 



4 



DELHI 

INTRODUCTION 

T^ELHI, the capital of the Republic of Indian Union possesses 
the most central and geographical position due to close up 
situation from all important parts and cities of the country. 
The city is situated on the western bank of the Jumna jand the 
other side is protected by the ridge. Thus it holds an unrivalled 
strategic location in the country. Delhi had been the capital 
since long of several rulers due to its central and strategic 
situation. All the rulers preferred it to be the capital and so 
also the British in 1911 decided to make Delhi the capita' 
instead of Calcutta which was formerly the capital. Delhi is tht 
most important railway centre, being the head quarter of the 
Northern Zone of Indian railway and is excellently served by all 
other zones. Delhi enjoys the benefit of two modern airports of 
Palam and Safdarjung which connect it with important centres 
of the World as well as of India. 

Due to be the capital, Delhi has become an international 
political centre. All the embassies and High Commission offices 
are located in New Delhi. It has a population of about 36 lacs 
according to 1961 census while in 1941 it was only about 9 lacs. 
The enlargement in population is greatly due to the partition of 
India in 1947. Delhi is situated in latitude 28,36 North and 
77, r3 East. With the formation of Municipal Corporation with 
effect from 7th April, 1958. Delhi is under the unified civic 
administration having juridiction over the statutory corporation 
dealing with electricity, water transport, sanitation, education, 
tax ation, etc. covering both rural and urban areas of 568 sq. 
miles leaving Delhi Cantonment and New Delhi— an area of 10 
sq. miles only. 

The climate of Delhi is healthy, having three major 
seasons — winter, summer and rainy. The winter season lasts 
from Oct. to March. The summer season from April to June 
and the rainy season from July to September. 



6 



Delhi is famous for its Handicrafts and Industries. There 
are cotton mills, biscuit factories. Flour mills, iron foundries 
and cycle industries. Delhi has been greatly effected in industries 
after the partition. There are many cottage industries, such as 
brass carving, embroidary, jewellery bags, rvory, stationery, etc. 
Delhi's gold and silver ornaments and jewellery, which are 
famous through out the world can be seen in the biggest and the 
richest street of Old Delhi called Chandni Chowk— The Silver 
Street. 



DELHI THROUGH THE AGES 



There are no records of early history of Delhi prior to the 
Muslim conquests of 1613 A.D., even then it is fact that the 
history of Delhi begins from the time of the Pandvas. Youdhis- 
tra founded a beautiful city over a barren land and named it 
Indraprastha for it was as beautiful as the abode of the king of 
gods "INDRA'* where now Old Fort stands. 

Anangpal who ruled from 663 A.D. to 681 A.D. recons- 
cructed Delhi and Anangpal II made Delhi his fulfledged capital 
in 1051. A.D. The Lai Kot and inscriptions oalron Pillar are 
the monuments of his time. The other Hindu fort of Rai Pithora 
built by Prithvi Raj Chauhan was built in near about 1180 A.D. 

The end of 12tn century saw the replacement of the 
Hindu rule by the Muslim rule. In 1250 A.D. Qutub-ud-Din 
proclaimed himself to be the first emperor of the Slave dynasty 
who built several mosques with the materials and in places of 
Hindu temples. Khilji dynasty succeeded the Slave dynasty in 
1290 A.D. Jalal-ud-Din Khiji was its founder and was assassina- 
ed by his own nephew Ala-ud-Din Khilji, who proved to be a 
successful and powerful ruler. He built Ala-ud-Din Darwaza 
near Qutub Minar. The uncompleted Alai Minar, is also his 
great work which could not be completed due to his death. 
After Khilji dynasty Tuglak (1320— 1412), Sayeds (1414—1451), 
and Lodis (1451 — 1526) ruled Delhi leaving monument such as 
Tuglak Fort, Lodi Tomb and Garden and Ferozt Shah Kotla in 
which the great Ashoka Pillar stands. 

Then came Mughals. Babar, the first of the Mughal em- 
perors, le**t little mark on Delhi. His successor, Humayun was 
responsible for 1 urana Qila, the 11th Capital, the 9th and 10th 
being Khizarabad and Mubarakabad the Saiyed creations, of 
which little or nothing exists. Sher Shah Suri, who ousted 
Humayun from Delhi for some years was also to a great extent 
responsible for Purana^Qila. 



8 



The Mughal emperors, Akbar and Shahjaban chose for 
the most part of their building talents, Agra and elsewhere rather 
than Delhi ; but it is Shahjahan that we owe the Red Fort. 
This walled city, which must have been one of the most impres- 
sive exteriors in the world was built by Shahjahan in 1939 and 
was called Shahjanabad. Aurangzeb, Shahjahan's successors, 
were a sort of Mughal twilight and on a rapid sweep there is 
little to catch the eye until we come to New Delhi of Lutyens 
and Baker. 

Delhi has often been captured. It was sacked by Taimur, 
the Mughal, in 1738 by Nadir Shah the Persian, in 1739 ; and 
by Ahmad Shah Durrani, the Afghan in 1756. In 1771, the 
Maratha Chief, Madho Rao Scindia, captured Delhi and the 
Marathas held it till 1803, when General Lake defeated Louis 
Bourquien, commanding troops of Daulat Rao, gaining posses- 
sion of Delhi and of the family and person of the King Shah 
Alam. In October 1804, Delhi was besieged by the Maratha 
Jaswant Rao Holkar, but was successfully defended by Colonel 
William Burn. From that time till 1857, the old Capital of 
India remained in the possession of the British. The Last King 
Bahadur Shah was defeated in 1857. and was about 80 years old 
when the Mutiny broke out and with his death at Rangoon, in 
1862, the Mughal dynasty disappeared. 

Delhi, which since the year 1193 A.D. has been ruled by 
two Queens and some seventy kings now has its first republican 
regine — thanks to that great leader and Father of the Nation, 
Mahatma Gandhi. Fifly years ago, Delhi's population was 
scarcely two hundred thousand. It was about eight time the 
number which acclaimed the installation of the first President of 
the Republic of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad on January 26, 
1950. 



"RED FORT" 

LAL QILA 

This massive fort is the mo«t magnificent of all Indian roya! 
palaces. It is a red sandstone building with mighty walls 
surmounted by fine towers. The fort was built by the most 
famous Mughal Emperor Shah Jehan at the right bank of river 
Jumuna on the eastern side of the city and near Chandni Chowk. 

Shah Jehan, after reigning at Agra for 1 1 years decided to 
transfer his capital again to Delhi owing to the lack of space, 
narrow streets, excessive heat and unlevelled ground there. The 
foundation stone of the fort was laid in 1639 A.D. and it was 
completed after 9 years and 3 months at an estimated cost of 
9 crores of rupees. The Chief Superintendent of the work under 
whose supervision the fort and its buildings were completed, 
was the renowned architect Mukarmmat Khan. 

The fort is an irregular octagonal in plan, with its two long 
sides on the east and west and six smaller ones on the north 
and south. Its circumference is about one and a half 
miles, with length froni north to south 3,200 feet and breadth 
from east to west I. SCO feet. On the river front the walls are 
90 feet in height while on the ground level. The ditch around 
it is 75 feet and 30 feet deep, which was filled with water during 
war time. 

After completion of the fort. Emperor Shah Jehan entered 
it with gorgeous ritual. Prince Dara scattered jewels, gold and 
silver coins over his father's head till he reached the inner gate. 
All the Palace buildings were already decorated. The floors 
were covered with magnificent carpets and ceilings, walls and 
colonades, were wrapped with fine brocade silk and velvet. 
A gorgeous shamiayana, costing one lakh of rupees was support- 
ed by 3000 strong farrashes. The Emperor gave alms with 
open heart. Princes, ladies of the hirem. Ministers add other 
gained precious gifts and big titles, and Mukarmmct Khan 
received the high rank of Panch HazarL 



10 



Red Fort is indeed a very plain and unassuming name, but 
in its good gold days of departed glory it bore great names, 
Shah Jehan and Aurangzeb called it 'Qila-e- Mubarak* or the 
fortunate citadel. In the time of Akbar Shah II and Bahadur 
Shah it was named as ' Qil a- e- Mullah' or the fort of exalted 
dignity. 

No one can describe the grandeur of the fort during the 
days of Mughals as after that it has undergone many vicisitudes^ 
In 1719, the fort and its building were greatly demaged by 
earthquake shocks : in 1739 Nadir Shah carried away the 
famous Peacock Throne and the Palace Treasure to Persia : in 
1759 serious havoc was wrought by Maratha and Jat assaults; 
in 1798 dreadful Rohilla, named as Gulam Qader set fire to the 
fort and withdrew, finally after the Mutiny of 1857 many 
gardens and buildings of fort were demolished. Though the fort 
has greatly been reduced in size and splendour it is worth a 
careful visit as it still contains many interesting sites. 

Many historical events occurred in this Fort. Three eventful 
courts were constituted in it. The first case was of the last 
Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah in 1858, the second was of the 
heroes of the Indian National Army and ihe third was of 
assassin of Mahatma Gandhi. The long felt desire of the Indians 
was fulfilled on the 15th August, 1947, when the National 
Tricolor was unfurled by the Prime Minister Shri Jawaharlal 
Nehru on the Fort, and since then every year on this day the 
Tricolour is unfurled by the Prime Minister. 

The Fort has two main entrances named as Lahore Gate 
and Delhi Gate. The Lahore Gate is in its western wall and 
the Delhi Gate is in its southern wall. Besides these there are 
three gates and two windows more, but of little importance, 
(Delhi Gate is now closed to the general public). 

Lahore Gate — the main entrance 

This most important gate faces Chandni Chowk, the famous 
thoroughfare of the city. In the Mughal days there used to be 
held a festival known as Meena Bazar before this gate. The 
entrance arch is flanked by crowned towers, while between these 
is a screen of chhatries, crowned by seven marble domes and 
terminated by tapering minerats. Emperor Aurangzeb erected 



11 



barbaricans as an additional protection to the Fort. When 
Shah Jehan came to know of this, he wrote him regarding these 




Delhi Gate 



12 



As the face of this Gate is towards old Delhi, it is famous by 
the name of Delhi Gate. Its construction is similar in design 
to that of Lahore Gate. 

Elephant Gate 

On the second entrance of Delhi Gate there stand two splen- 
did Black Elephants of probably actual size on each side which 
are of much interest. Originally, here were the figures of two 
Rajput heros, Jaimal and Fattah, riding on two elephants 
which were destroyed by Emperor Aurangzeb. In 1856 A.D. 
125 pieces of these were found under ground. After combina- 
tion of which one elephant was formed Later on two elephants 
of the same style were set up by the order of Lord Curzon in 
1903 and these pieces were placed in the museum (Mumta^ 
Mahal). 




Elephant Gate 

Chatta Ghowk 



Passing through the Lahore Gate one will find a vaulted hall 
measuring 268 feet in length and 27 feet in width. On both sides 
of the roadway, there are 36 shops in two storeys. It is said 
that it was the design chosen by Shah Jehan himself. 

In the open courtyard 200 sq, feet square, which is in front 
of the Chatta Chowk, there was a beautiful tank in the centre 



13 



with a strong balcony at its four sides. It is said that from 
courtyard upto the Delhi Gate there was a market for ofl&cers of 
low rank. Now one finds here only a circular grassy round. 

Naubat Khana 

After passing by grassy round one finds himself beneath a 
two-storeyed building. It is about 99 feet long and 68 feet 
wide. Five times a day the Royal Band used to play in this 
lofty hall : on Sunday, '*Sacred day to the Sun" and Saturday 
(the day of the week on which the king was born) the music 
was kept up the whole day in Mughal days. Through this 
entrance, none could pass mounted except Princes of Royal 



Blood. The visitors have to pass through the entrance in order 
to see the palaces of the Fort. 

Diwan-i-Am 

This red stand stone building stands on a plinth of stone 
4 feet high. Its original courtyard was 500 feet long and 
300 feet wide. It is enclosed by arcaded cloisters which were 
brilliantly gilted and brightly decorated with flowers. The hall 
was well-decorated with historical pictures. A beautiful 





Naubat Khana 



14 



aolden railing was fixed around this building. In front of the 
Emperor's seat was hung shamiyana with a border of pearls 




Diwan-i-Am 

on its four sides and golden embroidery work set with jewels in 
the centre. 

Qjursi, the Emperor's Seat 

In the centre of the front wall inside the Diwan-i-Am 
10 feet high from the ground is a marble recess. On its front 
walls is the mosaic work of Austin de Bordenux French artist 
of genius, representing beautiful birds, flowers and fruits in the 
most natural manner. At the time of the Mutiny in 1857 many 
of these jewels and stones were picked out. 

Below the throne is a marble dais measuring some 7 feet by 
3 feet standing on which the Wazir told the foreign news and 
presented the applications to the Emperor. In front of the 
throne of Wazir was the space reserved for the Rajas, Omrahs 
and ambassadors. The outer platform known as GuUal Bari 
was reserved for the minor officials and the public. 

Daily in the morning, at the presence of the Emperor, the 
Royal Darbar was held here. First of all the royal armoured 
horses passed away before the Emperor. Then the elephants 
decorated with brocade and silver bells, hanging on both sides 
of their backs in silver chains, seemed to be very charming. 



15 



After that different kinds of hunting animals and birds were 
presented to the Emperor. After inspecting the army and other 




Qursi, the Lmperofs ^eat 



things, the Emperor heard the applications and did justice 
before the applicant and the defaulter. 

Lai Pardah 

To the left of the Diwan-i-Am was a gateway called the Lai 
Pardah^ because a red curtain hung there. It was a great privi- 
lege to enter this gate. Only the Emperor's special favourites, 
-did so and they were called Lai Pardaris. 

Rang Mahal 

It is called so from the coloured decoration with which it 
formerly adhorned. The building measures 1530 feet by 690 feet 
and its celling is decorated with flowers. The original ceiling 
was of silver and ornamented with golden flowers but in the 
reign of Farrukhsayar it was taken off and melted down. In the 
back wall of this building which is towards the river there are 
five beautiful screened windows from where Begums and 
princesses watched the elephant and wild-beast fights, which 
were held on the sandy ground. In the centre of the Rang 
Mahal is a tank in whxh there is - beautiful lotus flower like 
a cusp of the marble The sheets of water rising from the edges 



16 



of the cusp, the waving of the plants and flowers under the 
dancing water would be nothing less than a scene of magic. It 




Rang Mahal's Lotus 
is said that the roof of the fountain was of glass and the reflec- 
tion of the fountain seemed to be very beautiful. Outside Rang 
Mahal is a kund of stone, in which the water of this tank fell. It 
is five yards square and 1 J yards deep. 

Diwan-i-Khas 

It is a magnificent marble paviUioo standing on a 41 ^ feet 




Diwan-i-Kaas 



17 



high plinth. The hall is 90 feet by 67 feet and its ceiling is 
supported by thirty two richly carved pillars inlaid with pre- 
cious gems. Its original'ceiling was of silver, valued at 29 lakh 
of rupees, which was looted by Jats in 1779 A.D. Over an arch 
in the central hall the famous inscripation in Persian letter runs 
as follows :— 

"If there be a paradise on the earth. 
It is this, it is this, it is this ?" 

It is an admitted fact that in those days this palace would 
not be less than heaven. The white marble dais, which formerly 
stood in this central chamber, is said to have supported the 
famous Takht-e-Taus of Shah Jehan. This heaven like Peacock 
Throne was completed in 7 years at a cost of 9 crores of rupees. 
The throne itself was 5 feet by 4 feet and was built of gold 
weighing 1 lakhs Tolas. Its upper portion was inlaid with dia- 
monds, rubbies, emeralds, sapphires and other valuable gems and 
the lower one was of gold set with topazes. On an enamelled 
tree one wonderful peacock, adorned with bright gems, was 
constructed. The canopy of the throne was also set with dia- 
monds and with a border of glorious pearls. Some fancy verses 
were written in it with green enamel. The throne was supported 
by twelve emiald coloured stones and to ascend the throne a 
beautiful silver-made staircase was prepared. It is this wonder- 
ful throne was carried off to Persia by Nadir Shah in 1739 and 
there it was melted down. 

It was here, where the Emperor used to retire after his 
morning Darbar in Divvan-i-Am, for confidential discussion 
with the priviledged few. 

Many political events occurred in the Diwan-i-Khas and it 
seems that this building was built to witness many colourful 
scenes ano tragedies. It was here that the splendid Darbar of 
the Emperor Shah Jehan was held ; it was here that the Doctor 
of East India Company got 37 villages and the order of free 
custom on the company's goods as a re\^'ard for the successful 
treatment of the Emperor ; it was here that Aurangzeb murder- 
ed his two brothers Lara and Murad ; it was here that Nadir 
Shah restrained Mohamrr.rid Shah and robbed him of the 



18 



famous diamond Koh-i-Noor, the Peacock Throne and the State 
treasure J it was here that Ghulam Qadir struck of Emperor 




Diwan-e-Khas 

Shah Alam's eyes and dashed his son to pieces ; it was here that 
Mahadoji Scindia got the Cow Safety Order and other high 
titles from Shah Alam as a reward for bringing Ghulam Qadii 
as a prisoner ; it was here that Shah Alam received his rescuer 
Lord Lake: it was here that the old Emperor Bahadur Shah was 
tried. In 1911 Emperor George V also held a Darbar in Diwan- 
e-Khas. In fact this building is bound up with innumerable 
historical events. 

Khas Mahal 

On the northern side of Diwan-e-Khas, is the set of three 
marble apartments, communicating with one another. Tasbi- 
Khana or the house of worship, Khawab Gah or the bed chamber 
and Baithak or the conversaliDn house. 

Nahr-e-Bahisht or Stream of Paradise which runs amidst 
these palaces dividing these in two equal parts. The magni- 
ficence of these palace in the Mughal days is indescribable, 
when even now, without any decoration these seems to be so 
beautiful. 



19 



Scale of Justice 

In the middle of Tasbi- 
Khana and Khawab Gah is 
the Scale of Justice with moon 
and stars inlaid in gold over 
the beautiful carved marble 
screen. The Emperor made 
it in order to show that his 
Justice was weighed like a 
scale. Here is the most highly 
ornamented screen and noth- 
ing can exceed the general 
poetiy of the desicn. It is said 
that outside the Khawab Gah 
a curtain was hung and a 
rhapodist relate the tales in 
a loud voice to lull to sleep 
the Emperor. 

^tii/e oj J us net 

Hamman or Royal Bath 

Near the Diwan-e-Khas ar<^ the Hammams, the bath 
for the Royal family. There are three main apartments 




rooms 
divided 




Hammam of Royal Bath 



20 



by passages. The first room facing the river was the dressing 
room and perfumed fountains were played here day and night. 
The second apartment has central basin for hot and cold baths 
as desired. There was a silver jet in the centre of the tank which 
was perfumed with rose water. The windows of these rooms 
were fitted with dark green coloured glas^^es. The third apart- 
ment was used for the hot baths only. Water was heated with 
the heating apparatus which is built in the west wall and 120 
maunds of fire-wood was required for its heating. All these 
apartments were beautifully parted with marble and inlaid with 
precious stones. 

Samman Burj 

In the east of Khwab-Gah is a tower crowned by an octa- 
gonal dome. Its cupola now covered with lime plaster was 
once ceased with golden 
polish copper sheet. In the I 
Mughal times here the ^ 



Emperor came dailv at the 
dawn to salute the rising 
sun and in turn received 
the salutation of his subjects. 
The custom was performed 
regularly without fail even 
if the Emperor fell ill. In 
1911, their Imperial 
Majesties, King George V 
and Queen Marry, also 
appeared from the balcony of 
Samman Burj to have the 
salutation of the waiting 
croud gathered on the 
ground between the Fort and 
river Jumna. 




SammOti burj 



Moti Masjid or Pearl Mosque 

On the northern sideof Hamman is the Moti Ma<jid, built 
in 16^2 by Aurangzeb, for the Royal Family at a/ CO$t of 



21 




Interior of Samman Burj 

lilakh and 60 thousand rupees. Thu mosque is built of white 
marble on a plinth of 3^ feet heighi measuring some 40 feet 

i 

I ? 




Afoti Masjid 

by 80 feet and 20 feet high. Its entrace is made of throughly 
brass small gateof handsome design The original domes of 
the mosque were made of heavily gilted copper which were 
destroyed during the mutiny and later on these marble domes 
were added. 



22 



Hayyat Baksh Garden 

This was excellent garden which used to display of its beauti- 
ful flower beds of various green plants and innumerable foun- 
tains in its glorious days. Now only a half of the original garden 
area exists as half of its western portion has now been occupied 
by the military barracks. In the centre of the garden was the 
tank which was decorated with 49 silver Jets and besides these 
were 112 silver Jets more which played around it. On four 
sides of the tank there were 6 yards broad channels with 30 
play-fountains in each. 

Sawan and Bhadon 

In Hayaat Baksh Garden there are two water pavilions, 
known as 'Sawan' and 'Bhadon'. The Sawan is situated to the 




Sawan 

north and is named after the first month of the rainy season. 
The Bhadon to the south of the garden is named after the second 
month of the rainy season. In the walls of these pavilons 
there are tanks. Through the water-ways water was constantly 
bur^thing forth gracefully and looking as the rain fell in the first 
and second months of the rainy season. In the nitches, flower 
vases were placed during the da\ and lighted tappers at night 
which appeared like twinkling stars. 



23 



Zafar Mahal or Jal Mahal 

Between the Sawan and Bhadon a red-stone pavilion lies in 
the centre of the main tank. It was built by the last Mughal 
Emperdr Bahadur Shah, and he named it after his poetical name 




*Zafar'. Towards the east of this building was a wooden brdge 
as its entrance which has disappeared. 

Shah Burj or King's Tower 

This building is situated at the eastern corner of the fort'and 
is 63 teet by 32 feet. Here the Emperor had secret talks ^ with 




24 



his Ministers. The centre of its nothern wall is occupied by a 
marble water case which slopes into a 'scolloped, marble basin. 
Formerly it was crowned by a domed cupola. 

Hira Mahal 

The small white marble building is situated opposite to 
Zafar Mahal. It measures 27 J feet by 19J feet and has three 
open arches on each side. It was built in 1842 by the last 
Mughal Emperor, Bahadur Shah, in order to enjoy the river 
scene from this palace. 

Nahr.i-Bahisht 

/ Originally, this canal was brought by Feroz Shah, in 1291, 
from the river Jumuna near Khizrabad, a distance of 50 miles 
and the Emperor Shah Jehan restarted it. It is said that the 
Emperor had ordered for putting some beautiful fishes into it 
with gold wings on their heads. It fed the palaces with many 
streams which filled their tank and played their fountains. 

Mamtaz Mahal 

In its days of glory it was one of the apartment for the 
Royal Princesses and was called as 'Chhota* Rang Mahal. After 
the Mutiny it was used as a military prison and sargient's mess 
and owing to those reasons its original appearance has been 
changed. At present it is being used as the Archaeological 
Museum. 

Museums 

There are two museums in the Fort. The Indian war 
memorial museum, which is at the eastern side of the Chhatta 
Chowk, was set up after the 1914-18 and contains stamps, 
photos, coins and armoury and war material. It is on the second 
storey of Naubat-Khana. 

Delhi Museum stands on the south of Rang Mahal, where 
there was Mumtaz Mahal in the Mughal days. Here specimens 
of old manuscripts, pictures, dresses, swords, etc., of the 
Mughal times are exhibited. 
Salim Garh 

Between the Fort and the river is a citadel, known as Salim 
Garh. it was built in 1546 bv Salim Shah, son and successor of 
Sher Shah Suri. When Emperor Humayun again returned to 
Delhi, he changed its name as Nahar Garh as he did not want 



25 



to let remain h's enemy's name any more. Jahangir in 1626, 
connected this stronghold by means of a bridge. During Mughal 
days Salim Garh served the purpose of a State prison. 
Aurangzeb kept his brothers Dara Shikoh and Murad here in 
prison. It was here that Emperor Shah Alam was imprisoned. 
After being blinded by Ghulam Qadir. The citadel which once 
had a great splendour seems today in a very poor condition. 
Entrance and Time to the Red Fort 

The Fort remains open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

A fee of 50 P. is charged for an adult and children below the 
age of 15 are allowed free of charge. Fort museum close 15 
minutes before the Port closes. 

Jama Masjid, Delhi 

It is situated about a quarter mile from the fort on a rocky 
eminence, called, Juajalpahar. It was the most famous mosque 
in the world and rivalled onl> by that at Fatehpur Sikri. It is 
built of red sandstone, similar to the Fort. It is 200 ft. in 




, Jama Masjid 

length and 120 ft. in w idth and the centre portion of the dome 
is 201 ft. high and is flanked by two minars 130 ft. high built 
in alternate vertical strips of red sandstone and white marble 



26 



in alternate vertical strips of red sandstone and white marble 
each containing 130 steps. There are three gateway in the 
mosque, the east gateway being the largest. Each gateway is 
made accessible by long wide flights of stone steps. 30 steps 
facing the north gate, 35 steps facing the east gateway and 33 
facing the south gateway. It was built by the Emperor Shah 
Jehan at a cost often lacs of rupees. The work .was begun in 
1644 and for five years not less than 5,000 workmen were daily 
employed in it. It was finally completed by Aurangzeb in 1658 
and was repaired in 1817, 1851, 1900 and 1956. 

Mahatma Gandhi's Samadhi 

On the ground of Raj Ghat, at a distance of 4 furlong out- 
side the Delhi Gate lies the Samadhi. On 31st Jan. 1948, the 
next day of the Father of Nation's assassination his funeral 
cremation was done. Since then the deserted ground turned up 
into a national monument. The Samadhi lies within a charm- 
ing and beautiful garden, on every Friday evening a prayer i;* 
held. 




Samadhi of Gandkiji 



27 



There is a beautiful garden, around the Samadhi. Special 
prayers are held on the 2nd Oct. and 31 Jan. which are res- 
pectively the birth and death dates of Father of Nation. 

Shanti Van 

This is the place situated at a distance of about one furlong 
from Raj Ghat. On 28th May, 1964, the next day our first 
Prime Minister Shri Jawahar Lai Nehru's death his funeral 
cremation was done. Since then the deserted place has turned 
into a national monument and prayer's are held on special 
occasions. 

Feroz Shah Kotla 

Kushak-i-Ferozshah popularly known as Feroz Shah Kotla 
stands on the Mathura Road . Just outside Delhi Gate, Delh, 
The citadel of the historic city o'' Ferozabad bounded by a 30 ft. 
bige wall, was built in the year 1354 A.D. by the Ernperor 
Feroz Shah Tuglak. Excepting the Ashoka's 36 ft : 8 inches, 
long stone-pillar imbeded in a masonry, a mosque and a Baoli 
(Pool, the rest of the structures including the Wazir's house near 
the northern wall and the Zanana Mahal (palace for Ladies) 
and Diwan-i-Khas are all Iving in heaps of ruins. 

A&hoka's Pillar. Delhi 

The pillar attains a height of 32 ft. 7 in. The upper and 




4shokas Pillar, Delhi 



28 



lower diameters of the exposed length are 25*3 and 38.3 in 
respectively. Originally this pillar was erected by the king of 
Magadh AshoVa, in 259 B.C. at Firozabad and was brough to 
this position by Firoz Shah Tughlak 1351-1358. Its supposed 
weight is 37 tons. When Finch visited Delhi in 1611 ; the pillar 
was surmounte by a glittering globe and gilded crescent which 
wag destroyed by lightning in 1715-19, the pillar was thrown by 
an explosion of a powder magazine and was set up again by the 
British in 1867. 

Chandni Ghowk 

Chandni Chowk is the famous main Bazar of old Delhi. Tt 
has a striking landmark, the Fountain. It has market of gold 
and silver craftsmanship in India jwellery and other sundry 
articles. At the begining of the Bazar there is Laipat Rai 
Market which accommodates a large number of businessmen 
who migrated to Delhi just after the Independence of India. 
The following landmarks are worthy of mention : — 

(1) Digamber Jain Lai Mandir. This Temple is situated 
at the Eastern end of the Chandni Chowk in front of the Red 
Fort. The Temple was built in 1656 A. D. It adds grace and 
sanctity to Delhi City. The Chief image is placed on the 
Central altar. The interior of the sanctuary is profusely painted 
glided and carved depicting unusual delicacy and beauty. An 
absorbing unit of the temple is the Bird's Free Hospital. 

(2) Gauri Shanker Temple. It is a sacred place of 
worship of the Hindus. The building is composed of white 
standstone and marble. A new hall has been added to the 
temple. In the temple precints there are the idols of God — 
Shiva and his consort Parbati, Lakshmi and Narain — Lord 
Krishna and Radha and Jumnaji. 

(3) Gurdwara Sisganj. It is a sacred place of the Sikhs, 
erected to mark the traditional site of the martyrdom of their 
Guru Tegh Bahadur. 

(4) Fountain. It is a typical monument of the Western 
style built of red standstone. 

(5) Sunehari Mosque. Stands near Sisganj Gurawara, the 
beautiful mosque has gilded domes and minarets. 



29 



(6) Town Hall. Housing the offices of the Delhi Municipal 
Corporation, is the centre of Civic Administration of Delhi. The 
building was built in 1866 A.D. 

(7) Fatehpuri Mosque. Stands at the western end of 
Chandni Chowk. It is built of red standstone paved with black 
and white marble tiles. The mosque was constructed in 1650 
A.D. by Begum, Fatehpuri, one of the wives of the Mughal 
Emperor Shah Jehan. There is a spacious courtyard and a 
fountain in its centre. 

Jain Temple, Dharam Pura, Delhi. 

The foundation was laid by L. Her Sukh Raiji in, 1803, 
which was completed in 1810 at a cost of 8 lakhs of Rupees. 
It took 7 years in completion. The BAD! of the temple is 
built of pure white marble of the Jaipur State. This temple 
has been spoken of as an architectural gem of highest purity 
in which both the mosaic and inlaid work have retained their 
loftiest perfection. This decorated work is similar to the work 
exhibited in the Taj. The KAMAL on which the Murti of 
Shri Adi Nath Bhagvan was completed at a cost of 10,000 of 
Rupees. In the begining there was only this BADI. But after 
a few years another Murti was placed and in the Mutiny of 
1857, Jains guarded the temple with their heart. Now nearly 
every Hindu and European do not go from Delhi without seeing 
it. In 1938 a heavy repair was made on and all the old 
paintings in the dome and the walls were again painted. 

BirIa Temple 

The Hindu Temple of modern time built in New Delhi would 
do honour to any city. This is a great specimen of the best of 
the old Aryan religions as conceived and adjusted to modernism. 
It has been built at a cost of several lakhs of rupees for Shri 
Sanatan Dharam Sabha, New Delhi by the philanthiopic Raja 
Baldev Das Birla in 1938. The foundatir;n stone was laid by 
Maharana Udai Bhan S.ngh of Dholpur on 26th March 1933. 
The opening ceremony was performed by the famous Pandit 
Vishco Nath Acharya from Hindu University assisted by many 
other Pandits. 

The temple contains separate places ^or Shri Lakshmi Narain 
in the middle, God Shiva to the right and Goddes Durga to the 



30 



I 




Birh Tpnmlfi 



31 



eft. Adjacent to the same on one side is Gita Bhawan containing 
a grand and attractive statue of Shri Bhagwan Krishna and the 
beautiful paintings from that immortal epic of Mahabharta. On 
the other side of the central structure is an excellent temple of 
the Bhagwan Buddha. Here too, are wall paintings from his 
life and teachings. There is also a guest house, a library, a 
reading room etc. 

On the walls and upper gallery, there are numerous wonder- 
ful paintings and epitomes of all the great teachings of 
Hinduism. The fresco paintings are done by the artists of 
Jaipur and the sculptured panels are by stone-masons from 
Jaipur who are weebit better the fresco paintings. 

Here all Hindus, i.e., the followers of the different branches 
of Hindu (Arya) Dharma, including Sanatanists, Buddhists, 
Sikhs, Jains may participate in the daily worship. Satsang and 
Kirtan in consonance with the conventions of the temple in 
mutual harmony and goodwill. The temple is open to all 
Hindus including Harijans subject to the condition of cleanliness, 
full faith and sincere devotion. The foreign tourists who are 
interested in Arya Dharam can visit the temple subject to the 
condition of purity. 

The back side adjoining the ridge has been converted into 
an artificial and miniature mountam scenery. The garden 
contains caves, scenes of falls, canopies, yagyashala, etc. all 
which present a grand spectacle. 

Parliament House 

Its circulated face nearly half a miie in circumference with a 
conditionous open colonade and columns of the purest creamy 
sand-stone, 27 ft. high all round in the verandah is really most 
picturesque. This is the home of the Lok Sabha and is also the 
meeting place of Rajya Sabha. The foundation stone was laid 
by His Royal Highness the Duke of Connaught in 1921 and 
was opened by Lord Irwin on 18th Jan. 1927. There are three 
main separate chambers which redia*e from the central hall of 
the building. 1st is Legislative Assembly with an accommoda- 
tion capacity of 400 members. 2nd State Council with a capacity 
of 300 members and the third with an accommodating capacity 

120 members. Each chamber has its own "Padha" gallery 



32 



and committee room. Fountains, waterway and gardens separate 
chambers from one another. Special permission is necessary for 




Parliament House 

the visitors. A shining view can be obtained seeing the reflection 
in the tank. 

Secretariats 

The Secretariats, adjoining the President's House, the 
foundation stones laid by their Majesties in 1911 at the darbar 
site can be seen in the red sand-stone vaulted chambers at the 
bare ot the two turrets. 

This was designed by Herbert Baker and was completed at a 
cost of one and three quarters crores of rupees in 1929. It is 
next in excellence to the political building to the President 
House and possibly the greatest state office building in the 
world. This consists of two great blocks, the north and the 
south. Each block is surmounted by a dome, 217 feet high 
from the lowest level of the ground that is only 21 feet lower 
:han Kutub Minar. 

The building consists of about one thousand rooms and 
approximately eight miles of corridors with an air conditioning 
plant, which cools the summer air and warms the winter air, is 
a noteworthv feature of great usefulness. Over the main 



33 



entrance to Secretariats, both north and south, some apt 
aphorism are inscribed. 



The interior decoration of the Secretariats is no less imposing 
than its splendid exterior. North Block contains some beautiful 
and interesting paintings depicting knowledge, justice, war and 
peace, spirits of the age dancing music and the South Block of 
the forecast of India, holy and sacred cities are shown of 
every ism and the emblems of the old kings. 



Rashtrapati Bhawan known till independence the Viceroy's 
House, has a rare touch of digniiy and looks grand as seen from 
the stately facade It is one of the most beautiful .palaces of the 
world, and covers the same areas as the Trafalgar Square of 
London. Built of red and white sand^stone it stands on an 
estate of total area of 330 acres, including 12 acres of gardens. 
It contains 12J miles of corridor, 340 rooms 227 columns, 35 
loggies. 3"^ fountains. Its inside furnishings are all of Indian 
material and its interior decorations leave an indelible 
impression. 




Secretariate 



Rashtrapati Bhawan 



34 



Rashtrapati Bhawan consists of a central block surmounted by 
a copper dome (177 feet above the roadway) and four wings. 
Thirty-two broad steps, lead to the portico and the main entr- 
ance to the Darbar Hall. The Hall is in the form of a circular 
marble court, 75 ft. in diameter. Groups of yellow marble 
pillars support the dome. The Rashtrapati's Seat faces the 
main entrance and commands a view of the approach along 
Rajpath and the massive War Memorial Arch in the distance. 
On the right is the State Library. A drawing room (38 ft. 
square) leads to the Ball rooms, opposite the main entrance to 
which is a large drawing room 105 ft. long 29 ft. wide). Next 
to this is the State Dining Room, panelled in dark wood and 
hung with portraits of former Governor-General and Viceroys. 
At one end of heading for the east, the Coats of arms of the 
Dominions are carved on the base. In the centre of the Court 




Rashtrapati Bhawan 

is the Jaipur Commemorative Column, a gift of the late Maha- 
raja of Jaipur. In the Great Place are statues of five Viceroys. 

A* the back of the palace is an Indian garden, a combination 
of Hindu and Mughal styles, which when illuminated at night 
looks heavenly. 



35 



India Gate, New Delhi 

India War Monument is in the memory of the Great War 
1914-18. Its foundation stone was laid by H. R. H. The Duke 
of Connaught, in 1912 and opened by Lord frwin. The inscrip- 
tion reads, *To the dead of the Indian armies who fell honoured 
in France and Flanders. Mesopotamia and Persia, East Africa, 
Gallipoli and elsewhere in the near and the far-east and in 
sacred memory also of those whctse names are recorded and who 
fell in India on the north-west frontier and during the Third 
Afgan War." 




India Gate 



36 



National Stadium 

National Stadium, recently built, where Asian Games were 
held in 1951. It can accommodate about 50,000 persons. Open 
air dances from all parts of the country held here during 
Republic Day celebration in the last week of January every }ear. 
In the open park beyond the War Memorial was hoisted on the 
15th August, 1947, the green, white and orange flag of inde- 
pendent India. May it be ever held aloft, an emblem of peace, 
love and non-violence ! 

Radio Station, New Delhi 

The all India Radio Brodcasting Service is organised by 
the Mini.strv of Information and Broadcasting. The building 




Radio Statioji 



of its own kind stands in Parliament Street, New Delhi. It 
consists of 14 studios in all. The structure is a specimen of the 
modern architecture in red. 



37 



Jantar Mantar 

Jantar Mantar is situated on Parliament Street near Con- 
naught Place, New Delhi. The astronomical observatory 
commonly known as Jan- 
tar Mantar was con- 
structed in 1724 A D. 
by Raja Jai Singh of 
Jaipur. The observatory 
having four different 
astronomical instru- 
ments in spite of their 
crude construction in 
brick and mortar is a 
remarkable monument 
of scientific and historic 
value and forms a digni- 
fied feature of New 
Delhi. The observatory 
has extensive grassy 
lawns around it and the 
whole spot is a popular 
place for picnic and 
recreation. 

To the ordinary man, 
the structures inside the 
Jantar Mantar would 
look like a little puzzling 
but certainly not un- 
interesting because they possess a simple geometrical beauty of 
their own based on astronomy. 

The observatory consists of a group of six curiously shaped 
huge masonary structure which were divised to study and observe 
celestial phenomena, the location and the movements ot the 
Sun, the Moon and the other celestial bodies. 




Jamar 



Name of the Instrument 

1 . Samrat Yantra 

2. Ram Yantra 

3. Jaya Prakash Yantra 

4. Misra Yantra 



NiK of Struct res 
1 
2 
2 
1 



38 



Gannanght Place 

Connaught Place which could with better reasons be more 
appropriately called as "Connaught Circus". It is situated in 
New Delhi not very far from Modern Delhi. This is to commemo- 
rate the memory of His Royal Highness the Duke of Cannaught 
who visited India in 1920. It is indeed the most fashionable 
shopping centre of the Capital and is undoubtedly one of the 
most beautiful spots in the world so beautifully planned and so 




Cannaught Place 

well built. Many institutions are here. It is circular in appearance, 
consisting of the inner circle and the outer circle. The radius of 
the inner circle in about 947 feet. 

In the centre there is a big fountain surrounded by a fair ring 
of beautiful lawn. Though Connaught Circus appears circular, 
close observation shows that it is more like a horse shoe in 
design. 

Safdarjangs Tomb 

Safdarjung's Tomb is the last of the great Mughal's tombs. 
Safdarjung was the second Nawab of Oudh and succeeded his 



39 

uncle Sadat Khan in 1739. The tomb stands in a beautiful 
garden about five miles from Delhi city on the way to Kutub 
fnd was commenced in 1753, the Near of the death of Safdarjung. 
The mausoleum stands on a raised terrace. Its centre h«lU 40 tt. 
high supports a bulbous dome with marble mmarets. 




Safdorjung's Tomb 

The Mausoleum stands on a raised terrace at the end of a 
paved walk once with a water channel. It is 900 ft. square of 
three storeys, with fawn-coloured stone work. In the central 
chamber is the carvedcenoiaph, and in the chamber below are 
two earth graves. The view from the top of the roof is extensive. 

THE QIJTUB AND ITS SURROUNDING 
The Qutub 

It is the name of group of monuments lying eleven miles 
from the south-west of Delhi, comprising Quwwat-uMslam 
Mosque of Qutub ud-din Aibak, its Minar, the Tomb of 
Altamish, the Madarsa (college) and Ala-ud-din Khilji's 
extension. 



46 



The Q,iituh Minar 



This Minar is the litghest tower in India, the turret of which 
once acting as a sentinel watching the movement of the ranks of 
aggressors and now 
keeping an eye upon the 
activities of the 
inhabitants of Delhi and 
its suburbs. Although 
the Minar had been 
damaged by lightening 
and earthquake many 
a time, yet its magni- 
ficance is fascinating 
the minds of the people 
coming from far and 
wide. 

There arc resons to 
believe that the Qutub 
was once called Prithvi 
Stambh as it was the 
creation of Samrat 
Prithvi Raj Chauhan, 
the last Hindu ruler of 
India. The inspiration 
to the creation of the 
Minar for the Chauhan 
Emperor was to respond 

the good wishes of his Qutub Minar 

wife who wanted to have 

a daily sight of the scared river Jamuna from its heights. 
Following are the views which expouse the cause of its being a 
Hindu structure : 




CI) The gateway of its first storey faces to the north as 
it was traditionally the method of constructing Hindu 
buildings, but the doors of the other storeys o\ the 
Minar are facing towards east which is purely Muslim 
style of construction. 



41 



(2) The muslims always get their buildings based on high 
wide chabutras which is contrary to the Hindu style. 
There is no such chabutra as can be seen distinctly 
under another Minar nearby it indeed to be built by 
Ala-ud-din Khilji. 

(3) On minutely seeing one can note kanguras exist in the 
first storey indicating bells and other signs of Hindu 
religion which were never adopted by Muslims. 

The titles of sultans and the verses from Quran which are 
inscribed on it are creation of a later period. Ho\^e^e^, 
Qutub-ud-din Aibak refashioned it into Muslim style in 1200 
A.D. 

Qutub-ud-nin Aibak was the slave, army commander and 
the viceroy of Muhidd-ud-din Muhammad Ghori ibn Sam, king 
of Ghazni. To celebrate his decisive victory over the Raiput 
forces of the Chauhan King in 1 192 A D. on the field of Tarain, 
by Muhammed Ghori, Qutub-ud-din Aibak commened the 
minar according to one of the inscription which runs : "Amirs 
of Amir. Commander-in-Chief the Chief, in the State Qutub." 
This Minar is an adjunct to the mosque called Quwwatu-l-Tslam. 
The purpose of its erection was twofold : to overawe the infidels 
and to the azan from its height. 

In the days of Qutub-ud-din Aibak the minar could be 
reshaped not more than its first storey only. It was Shams-ud- 
din Altamash, the Turk of Albari tribe and slave successors and 
son in-law of his slave master Qutub ud-din Aibak to have the 
credit of superimposing the second and third storey upon it in 
1210 A.D. Rest of the storevs with cupola are addition by 
Firoze Shah Tughlak in 1357 A^D. 

It is said that once the Minar had seven storeys in all 
attaining a height of 300 feet But now there have been remain- 
ed five storeys only. There are 379 circluar stone steps leading 
to its height, i.e., 233 feet 8 inches. The height of each storey 
consisting a number of steps is as under : 



42 



Storey 
First or the 
lowest storey 
Second storey 
Third storey 
Fourth storey 
Fifth storey 

Total 



Height 
95 ft. 

50 ft. ^ in. 
40 ft. 3^ in. 
25 ft. 4 in. 
22 ft. 4 in. 

233 ft. 8 in 



No. of Steps 

156 
78 
62 
42 
41 

379 steps 




Qutub & Top 




Qiitub Minar 



44 



The diameter of the Minar at its base is 47 feet and it is 
9 feet at its top. Each storey is separated by a balcony. There 
is a wonderful carving on it bearing the testimony of the Eastern 
ancient engineers. The red sandstones finely decorated with 
carved schrolls were used in the construction of first three 
store\s. In the fourth and the fifth storeys marble too 
was utilised. On the top of the fifth storey there was a cupola 
12 ft 10 in. high. It was damaged by lightning and was 
repaired by Sikandar Lodhi in 1503 A D. In 1803, the cupola 
vsas destroyed and thrown down bv an earthquake. But it was 
again replaced by Major Robert Smith, an Executive En<2ineer 
in 1828 at the cost of Rs. 17.000. Finally, in 1848 A.D Lord 
Hardinge removed it and now it is placed near the Qutub 
Minar. 

On the gateway of each storey there is an inscription, the 
translation of which goes like this. 

On the entrance doorway — 

"The Prophet (on whom the God's blessing and peace) said, 
*'He who builds a mosque for God. God will build for him a 
similar house in paradise." The Minar during the reign of 
Sikandar Shah was injured and was destroyed as well as its 
upper storey were repaired in 1503." 

Recording on the doorway of the second storey is translated 
as — 

*'The completion of this building was commanded by 
Altamish." 

Over the gateway of the third storey — 

"The creation of it was ordered during the reign of 
Altamish." 

On the fifth storey it is— 

"The edifice built by Firoze Sultan." No doubt this great 
edifice was constructed under the auspices and patronage of 
most of the Muslim rulers, but the artistic skillnes had been 
contributed by the Hindu engineers and artisans. From its 
height the Landscape of Delhi and New Delhi is worth seeing. 
Reaching upon its summit, the Kinps and Sultans of Khilji and 
Tughlak dynasties watched the forces of their foes and friends 
It is from this height that Mahmud Tughlak saw the camps of 



45 



Taimur the lame, ranked on the site of the present aerodrome. 
The visitors very much feel pleasure to see its carvings, struc- 
ture and grandeur. They make trips over trips to visit it but 
never feel tired. 

PLACES ROUND THE QUTAB MINAR 
Quwwatu-I-Islam Mosque 

It is the earliest mosque (Mohammadan house to offer 
prayers) extant in India is situated just close to the Minar at 
Delhi. The mosque was called by the name "Quwwatu-L 
Islam'' which means "Might of Islam." It was founded by 
Qutub-ud-din Aibak after wresting Delhi from the Chauhan 
chief on the site where once there was a Hindu temple popularly 
known as Vishnu Mandii. 

So far as the demolishing of the Hindu temple and costruct- 
ing a mosque over its site is concerned, quotations by some 
prominent critics are as under : — 

According to Ibn Batnta : 




Vishnu Temple {Prthvi Raj Temple) 

'•Before the taking of Delhi, it had been a Hindu temple 
which the Hindu called Eibut-Khana, but after the event it was 
used as a mosque. 



46 



Lt. Col. H.A. Newell observes : 

"The walls are of Pathan. but the richly wrought pillars 
are the spoils of Hindu, Jain and Buddhist shrines founded in 
its vicinity." 

Cunningham writes : 

"Some of these pillars may still be seen in the proper." 
He further remarks : 

"To conceal Hindu decoration, every part of the mosque 
was plastered and proposely ornamented with flowers and texts 
from the Quran and designs of various sorts Time has, how- 
ever, destroyed the plaster and the Hindu work is once exposed 
to view." 

Sir Henry Sharps says : 

"The trabeate structure shows that the Aryans were employ- 
ed in its erection, it was doubtless Hindu too who covered the 
surface with an exquisite lace work of Tughre lettering and 
flowered patterns. The general effect is peculiar." 

The mosque was constructed piecemeal in a rectangular 
form measuring 150 ft x75 ft. with the material taken from 
twenty-seven temples other than that of the demolished one 
known as Vishnu Mandir. Artistically carved pillars 35 ft. 
high are standing in five rows. For the ladies to say prayer 
two rooms were constructed. Subsequent addition and amend- 
ments were made by the emperors Altmish and A!a-ud-din. 

From the architectural point of view this mosque is of great 
interest. The main entrance is a doomed gate. The prayer 
hall was screened off" by a wall 8fc. with a series of lotry arches. 
It was built of red and yellow sandstone. The faint and dim 
impression of lace-work of delicate carving of Hindu workman- 
ship still offers the elegance of the mosque. For more than 
thirty >ears it had been serving the purpose of a Jama mosque 
of the Sultans of Delhi. Jt is now in a complete ruin. But 
what is left has been carefully preserved by Archaeological 
Department. 

The Iron PiHar 

In the centre of the courtyard of the raosque Quwwat-ul- 
Islam is fixed an iron pillar. It reveals that the science and 
civilization of India was at its zenith of progress when the 



47 



western countries were unaware of world civilization itself, ft 
is a solid piece of iron 32 ft. 8 in. high. The diameter at its 




J ran Pillar with Mosque 

base is 6 ft. 4 in. and it is 2 ft, 4 in. at the top. It has been 
fastened by eight strong bars in the ground This has a very 
smooth surface over which some strange characters have been 
inscribed in Sanskrit. The translation of this Sanskrit p ece is 
as under — 

*'He, on whose fame was inscribed by the several, when in 
battle in the Vanga countries, kneaded and turned back with 
his breast the enemies, who uniting together, came against him. 
— he, by whom havins crossed in warfare the seven mouths of 
the river. Indus, Sindhu, the Vahlkas were conquered— he by 
the breezes of whose poweis the southern is even still performed 
— he the remnant of the great lowing heat of a burned out fire in 
great forest even now leaves not the earth, though he, the king 
as if wearied, has quitted this earth, and has gone to the other 
world, moving in bodily form to the land of paradise won by 
the merit of his action, but remaining on this earth by the 
memory of his fame. By whom the kmg— who attained sole 



48 



supreme sovereignty in the world, acquired by his owner and 
enjoyed for a long time, and who having the name of Chandra 
carried a beauty of countenance, like the beauty of full moon, 
—having in faith fixed his mind upon the God (Vishnu), lofty 
standard of the Divine was set upon the hill called *'Vishnupad." 

"When did King Chandra reign and who he was ?" Is still 
shrouded in obscurity. No two writers agree so far as the 
manufacture and erection of this Pillar is concerned. One goes 
to the one extreme and the other goes to the other extreme, but 
where they meet they say that the Pillar must have been built 
and fastened by some Hindu king. They identify this king 
with Chandra Gupta II Vikramaditya of the Gupta dynasty 
(308—413 A.D.) who ruled over a major part of Northern India 
during the 4th century A.D. It has also been surmised that 
the Iron Pillar bore originally the effigy of sun bird Garuda and 
stood in front of a Vishnu temple. 

Many stories regarding the erection of this pillar are inter- 
woven together. According to Sayyad Ahmad Khan, the 
Pillar was constructed by Raja Mahadev in 895 B.C. Another 
authority Mr. Prinsep in his translation of the six lines of the 
original passage in Sanskrit observes that it was built by Raja 
Dhwa, who ruled over Delhi in the third and fourth century 
A.D. This view has been rejected by Bhau Daji, a Sankrit 
scholar. He opines that the Pillar was built by Maharaja 
Chandra in honour of God, Vishnu in front of the temple 
dedicated to that God, and it was called Vishnu Lath. It is 
probable that the Pillar was built by Maharaja Chandra who 
might have been one of the kings in Mewar dynasty. Now 
a-da} s the Pillar is known as Loh Stambh. Some say that the 
Pillar was set originally in the city of Indraprasth in the 
time of Mahabharata. Later on it might have been taken to 
Bihar, the ancient country of Magadha. Finally it was brought 
to Delhi and was set up in the front of Vishnu Mandir by a 
Rajput King Anangpal Tomar in the eleventh century A.D. as 
the name of the said king is also inscribed on the year 1012 
A D. According to a tradition, some Prohit told King 
Anangp'il "Your empire has become permanjent as the Pillar 
rests on the head cf a great snake Sheesh Na^, As long as 



49 



the Pillar is there no harm can come to your empire. The 
moment the Pillar is removed, the empire will be no longer in 
your possession." Unv/isely the king put the prophecy made 
by the Prohit to a test and ordered for the' removal of the 
Pillar. The lower end was seen blood-strained. He then tried 
his best to refix it on its place but could not fasten it as firmly 
as it was before. It is said for this reason the reign of Tomar 
dynasty did not last long. 

During the reign of Mohammad Shah, India was invaded 
by Nadir Shah. The invader happened to visit the Qutab. 
His attention was diverted to the iron Pillar. He wanted to 
have it pulled out but the pillar was so firm that it could not 
be uprooted. At last the cannon was fired at it but it left only 
a slight impression on surface which still can be seen. 

Regarding this Pillar remarks given by some authorities are 
interesting to note : 

Cunningham says : 

"The Iron Pillar of Delhi is one of the most curious monu- 
ments of India. Many large works of metal were, no doubt 
made in ancient times, such for instance as the celebrated 
collossus of Rhodes and gigantic status of Buddhist which are 
described by Hieun Tsang. But all of them were built of 
pieces welded together whereas the Delhi Pillar is a solid shaft 
of mixed metal.*' 

Mr. Newell remarks : 

"It is a forged bar of pure unrusting iron nearly 24 feet 
high and said to weigh six tons, gracefully moulded at the top, 
and so strong that a cannon was fired at it did a little injury. 
The Hindus were able to do this piece of forging some centuries 
ago. 

Following elements have been dissolved by Sir Robert 
Hedfield on making a chemical analysis of the iron of the Pillar : 



Carbon 
Silicon 
Sulphur 



... 0.080 p.c, 
... 0.046 p.c. 
... 0.006 p.c. 
... 114 p.c. 
... Nil 



Phosphorous 
Manganese 
Iron 



99.720 p.c. 



Total 



50 



The Alai Darwaza 

At a distance of a few feet south-east from the Qutab 
Minar. there stand a big gate called Alai Darwaza. It was 
built of red-sand-stone richly ornamented with design in relief by 
Ala-ud-din Khilji in 1310 A.D. It is the most magnificant 
gate in the world. The planning of the gate way is square 
measuring 35 J feet internally and 55 J feet externally. The 
height of the walls is 47 feet from the floor to the celling having 
a thickness of 1 1 feet. There are two windows closed by 
massive screens of marble lattice work at each corner of the 
building. About this edifice, Mr. Fanshave says, "The Alai 
Darwaza is not only the most beautiful structure at the Qutab 
Minar, but is one of the most beautiful specimens of external 
poly chrcmatic decoration not merely in India, but in the whole 
world, while the carvings of interior may challenge comparison 




Alai Darwaza 



with any work of the kind. Both exterior and interior merit 
detailed and leisurely examined." 



51 



of Alai 



Through 



Tomb of Imam Zamin 

The Tomb is situated to 
this gate one is to reach 
the Tomb. It was built 
in the time of Mughal 
Emperor Humayun. Imam 
Zamin was a member of 
Chishtia sect. He was a 
Sayyad and descend from 
Hassan and Hussain. He 
came to Delhi from 
Turkistan in the reign of 
Sikandar Lodhi. He was 
appointed as Imam ; the 
highest Official in the 
Quwwat-ul-fslam Mosque 

The plan of the struc 
ture is a square one hav 
ing a base of 24 feet 
There is a dome surmoun 
ted over it. The whole- 
structure is built of sand 
stone which is covered 
with finely polished 
stucco. A double row of 
kanguras also exist on the 
inscribed on the building. 
Mughal Saral 

It served the purpose of a rest house in the Mughal period. 
Now It IS in a dilapidated condinon. In those days of Mughal 
monarchy, there remained a heavy ru<;h in the sarai But now 
n IS in a ruinous state. A big par of the southern half of this 
buildmg has been dismantled to open a way to the Outub 
Mosque as the part itself was about to collapse. 
Maghal Garden 

*u- T*'^ King had a keen interest in gardens. To satisfy 

this mstinct they founded many gardens. The remains of one 
of them can be seen to the north of the Mughal Sarai. In the 
centre rums of some graves are visible 




Top of Kutub Minar 
building. The name of saint 



IS 



52 



Ghhatri (Capola) 

In the south-east of the mosque there is a Bengali Chhatri. 
Once it crownded the minar in place of the Chattri erected by 
Feroze Shah Tughlak. In 1848 this chhatri was removed by 
theorderofLorder Hardinge which was once constructed at a 
cost of Rs. 17.000 by Major Smith in 1828. 

Dhoop Ghari (Sun- watch) 

In the Mughal garden there is a Dhoop Ghari. In the 
memory of Mr. Gardon Sanderson this ghari was founded. 
Mr. Sanderson was the Superintendent in the Archaeological 
Department (1910—1914 A D.) He planted trees, made the 
ground grassy, paths and such other reforms' for the convenience 
of the visitors. Mr. Sanderson received such fatal injuries in 
French wars that he could not servive and expired in 1915 A.D. 
the inscription on it means **Light remains while darkness 
passes". 

LalKot 

It was a stronghold and was built by Maharaja Anangpal 
in 1^66 A.D. The ramparts of this Kot were 60 feet high and 
30 feet thick. It was enclosed by walls in a circuit of 2^ miles. 
There were three big gates in the fort each 17 feet wide. Except 
the walls on the western side of the fort it has bscome a group 
of ruins. There are eight towers in the Kot, the remaias of 
which are quite visible. 

Rai Pithora Kot 

Day by Day the invasions from west by the Muslims had 
become frequent. Consequently Maharaja Prithvi Raj extended 
boundary of Ldl Kot to the extent of seven and a half miles 
Sa>yad Ahmad Khan is of opinion that it was built in 1143 
but Cunningham gfves the year of construction as 1148. The 
fort contained ten gates. There were twentv seven temples of 
Hindus. Jain and Buddhist communities. These temples were 
demolished by the Muslim invaders. The richly carved pillars 
and other material was utilised to build their mosques. 

Tomb of Altamish 

The tomb is situated to the north-west side of the Vishnu 
Mandir. The credit of consructing the Tomb goes to 



53 

Raziah Sultana, the daughter of King Altamish. It is said to be 
oldest extent in India. It is the Hindu art- and design applied 
to a Muslim construction. It was built with red standstone 




Tomb of Altamish 

and marble, and was completed in 1236 A.D. Marble .was used 
only in the central Mehrab and in the conotaph in the middle 
of the tomb chamber. 

The identification of this tomb as that of Altamish is rather 
a controversial pomt. No inscription is there which can estab- 
lish the fact that it really belongs to Altamish. In Fatuhat-e- 
/'erozeS/zfl/z/, no doubt, reference can be found to the college 
and the tomb of Altamish as possessing corner towers, pillars 
and concrete flooring. But according to Sir John Marshall, the 
description more accurately applies to Sultan Ghori's Tomb 
rather than the Tomb of Sultan Altamish. From an inscription 
it is learnt that,the tomb in question was erected by Altamish 
for his son. 

The plan of the building is a square at the lower part and 
circular at the top as possessed a circular doom. 



54 



The Alai Minar 

This minar stands 153 ft. north of the Qutab Minar. It 
was commenced by King Ala- 
ud-din Khilji, but could not be 
completed as the King died 
in 1315 A D. The height of 
this tower would have been 
500 ft. had it been completed. 

Now it is 70 ft. above the 
plinth or 3 7 ft. above the 
ground. As per orders of its 
builders, the circumference of 
this minar would have been 
double tharr that of Qutab 
Minar. The work on the mner 
as well as outer walls of the 
tower is of a coarse quality. 

Ala-od-din's Maclarsa 

To the south-west of the 
mosque, there are the remains 
of Ala-ud-din*s College known as Ala-ud -din's MadariSa. From 
the appearance of fabrics remains one can very well surmise its 
picturesaue position in the days of its builder. It was built in 
rectangular form, the entrance was from the north side through 
a triple gateway. 

Ala.ad-din*8 Tomb 

On the south of the courtway of Ala-ud-din's Madarsa there 
is a location of Ala-ud-din tomb. The structure was formerly 
covered by a dome but now it has been fallen. Some remains 
still existing shows the projecting portion, the screen wall on its 
western side and some rows of small chambers on its western 
side. 

Tomb of Kamali and Jamali 

It is situated at a distance of half a mile to south east of 
Qutab Minar. The tomb is built of white marble. Drawing 




55 

and painting on inner side of the tomb are very beautiful and 
interesting. 




Tomb of Kamali and JamaH 
Yogmaya's Temple 

The temple stands at a distance of 250 yards from the Qutab 
Minar. From the study of Bhagwat Puran we come to know that 
Yogmaya was a sister of Lord Krishana. The cruel King Kansa 
wanted to kill her but anyhow she escaped death and soared 
high up in the sky. She made a prophecy about the birth of 
Shri Krishna who would stop the atrocities perpetrated by Raja 
Kansa. 

According to a tradition the present temple is situated at the 
same sport of the temple built by Maharaja Yudhishter in the 
days of Mahabharat. The present temple was constructed by 
Lala Sidhoomal in 1827 A.D. The area of the temple is 400 
feet square attaining height of 42 feet. Inside the temple there 
have been placed two beautiful fans. In between the fans the 
idol of god has been placed. Outside the temple there has 
been lying a big cage in which the idols of two pathers can be 
seen. 

The description given by Mr. Keene is interesting to read : 



56 



"In a marble floored and flat-roofed room 17 square feet, 

entered through doorway v>\th sl marble flame is tenderly kept 

a black sacred stone concealed in tinseal and clothed in a 
marble veil two feet wide and one feet deep." 

Adam Khan's Tomb 

At a distance of about half a mile to the South West of Qutab 
Minar stands a monument called Adam Khan's Tomb otherwise 
Adam Khan's Durgah seventeen feet high above the ground 
level. It was constructed by Akbar, the Great, in 1526 A.D. 
on the death of Adam Khan. Adam Khan was a big general 
in Mughal armies. Sand-stone of sky-blue colour was used in 
an octagonal form. Lodi style was adopted for the structure. 

Baoli 

There are two artificial wells nearby to the south of the 
Adam Khan's Tomb at a distance of about 100 yards. These 
wells are called Baolies in each Baoli there are five tiers. 
Each tier narrows down when it decends to the bottom. There 
are about 150 steps leading to the water level. The Baoli 
measures 133 feet by 35 feet. In the rainy days people enjoy 
dives when the Baolies are filled with water. 

Durgah Qutab Sahib 

To the south-west of Qutab Minar at a distance of about one 
and a half mile there is another monument called Durgah Qutab 
Sahib. King Altaraish got it constructed. Qutab-ud-din Bakh- 
tiar Kaki was a well-known Sheikh. He was born at Gujarat 
and died at Delhi in 1235 A D Here are graves of some Mughal 
rulers and their relatives. Kirrg Bahadur Shah, the last Mughal 
ruler who died at Rangoon, had also selected a place here for 
his grave. 

Sultan Ghori's Tomb 

Sultan Ghori (who died in 1231 A.D.) was the son of King 
Altamish. The tomb bearing his name has been constructed to 
the west of Qutab Minar in the village named Malikpur. The 
mausoleum is built of white marble. 

Ghias-ud-din's Tomb 

Close to the tomb of Qutab Sahib, there is also the tomb of 
Ghias-ud-din Balban who died in 1286 A.D. Now it has become 
a mass of ruins only. Balban was the slave of King Altamish. 



57 



After the death of Nasir-ud-din Balban held the title of emperor 
by dint of his ability and bravery. His beloved son who died 
in 1284 at Lahore was buried in the vicinity. 

Bhim's Chhatanki 

It is a big store lying about one and a half mile away to the 
west of Qutab Minar. Bhim was one of the five Pandavas of 
Mahabharat. According to tradition, this heavy stone was as 
light in weight for Bhim as the weight of a Chhatank. It indica- 
tes the bravery and physical strength of Bhim. 

Tughlak Fort and Tomb 

It is at a distance of 12 miles south of Delhi. It was a 
massive stronghold built by Ghias-ud-din Tughlak on a rocky 




Tughlak Fort and Tomb 
eminence in 1324 A. D. It was strange that ranges of towers 
and bastions rendered the stronghold practically impregnable to 
attack by any military method practised in the forteenth 
ccntuiy. The fort has 13 gateways, 7 tanks and a remarkable 
•well 80 ft. deep in the solid rocks. The defesces consisted of 



58 



-walls risfaig above the rocks to a height of 40 ft. a 7 rt» 
Parapet and then another 1 1 ft. of wall. The walls were thin 
and solid in structure. Jama Masjid and Burj Mandir were the 
two most important buildings of Tughlakabad of which remains 
are now only traceable. It is to be noted here, that the cons- 
truction of such colossal building being completed in two years 
and the name itself Burj Mandir indicates that probably 
Tughlakabad was another modification of some pre-existing 
Hindu building. 

Hauz Khas 

The great tank extending 70 acres in area was built in 1295 
A.D. by Ala-ud-din and i:epaired by King Feroz Shah in 1354 
A.D. It is now ruined and crop is cultivated on it. Here is 
the tomb of Feroz Shab Tughlak. Inside the tomb are buried 
Nasir-ud-din Mohammed Shah, son of Feroz Shah and 
Sikandar Lodi, son of Nasir-ud-din. Outside the tomb there 
are many tombs of the Amirs of the time of Sikandar Lodi. 

Kalkaji 

It is situated about 8 miles from Delhi near Okhla Railway 
Station. Tradition say that it stands on the same grounds of 
a temple bu'lt as early as 3000 B.C. The oldest part of the 
present temple was built in 1764 A.D. Kali Devi's idol placed 
in the centre of the temple is completely covered with brocade 
and red cloth It is enclosed on three sides by a red sandstone 
and v^hite marble railing. This place is very sacred to the 
Hindus. On every Tuesday, a fair is held but two times in a 
year— on 8th day of Chait and Asauj month of Hindu year there 
are held big festivals. 

Nizammndin's Tomb 

It is the tomb of Nizammudin, a renowned saint, situated 
5 miles from Delhi. It is regarded by the Muslims as one of 
the sacred places of the pilgrimage in India. This mausoleum 
was erected by Md. Tughlak (1324-51). Followers of ihe saint 
tell wonderful stories of the cares wrought by the visitors. The 
mosque is the grave of the beautiful daughter of Shahjahan» 
Jahan Ara Begum. Towards the east are the graves of 



59 

Mohammad Shah and Urdu poet Khusni. 




NizammudirCs Tomb 

Hnmayan*s Tomb 

The mausoleum of Humayua is situated at a distance of 
about 4J miles from the city on the Delhi-Mathura Road. The 




Humayuns Tomb 



60 



remains of the emperor were removed from the Old Fort, where 
he died in 1556, and buried in the place where they now lie. 
The site for the mausoleum was selected by the Emperor 
Humayum himself and on his death it was built by his widow 
Hamida Bano Begum, popularly known as Nawab Haji Begum, 
the mother of Akbar, the Great. The tomb was commenced 
in 1556 A. D. and was completed in 1569 AD. at a cost of 
sixteen lakhs of rupees. 

The tomb is full of tragedic memories. It contains the graves 
of Humayun, his wife, the ill-fated prince Dara Shikob, the heir 
apparent to Shah Jehan, murdered by his younger brother 
Aurangzeb ; Emperor Jahandar Shah (1712-13), Furrukhsiyar 
Alamgir-II etc. 

Tomb Mosque of Isa Khan 

Close to Humayun's Tomb is Isa Khan's Tomb. It is named 
after a noble of Sher Shah's time who was buried in 1547. It 




61 , 

Inside the dome chamber exist two large graves and four 
small graves. The monum.ent over the grave of Isa Khan, is of 
marble and red sandstone. 

The mosque stands just west of the tomb. It stands on a 
platform 3 feet high and consists of a single prayer chamber 
which is divided into three pays. The interior of the mosque 
is simple and the floor of the chamber is plastered. The mosque 
has one big dome and two small domed pavilions supported by 
some pillars on both sides of the main dome. 

Old Fort 

It was built at the time of the Pandavas is pretty certain. 
Several regions followed one after the other during the enormous 




Old Fort 

epoch of the last five thousand years buf the very register of 
settlements reports designate that locality by the name of 
Indraprastha. To its south there is an octagonal room going 
by the name of Sher Mandal which must have been arena with 
the temple. It appears that the later structure was used as a sacri- 
ficial alter by Pandavas. Possibly the place was originally called 
Surya Mandal for the Pandavas were the Sun worshippers. 
Besides according by Shastras the sun temple must be octagonal. 
In the time of Sher Shah Suri, however, as it often the case the 
name was altered to Sher MandaL 



€2 



Sher Shafa Mosque 

The mosque is some 172 feet by 52 feet and 52 feet in 
height, is built of sharply chiselled red sandstone, relieved with 
marble, slate and coloured stonework. There are small pin- 
nacles, at the corners and a bold dome in the centre, the flat 
roof is crenellated along the sky line and the facade consists of 
five horse shoe arches. The mosque is the example of the 
artistry of the Indo-Afghan School. 

Sher Mandal 

Just to the south of the mosque is an octagonal two storeyed 
building called 'Sher Mandal'. It is built or red sandstone and 
surrounded by an open pavilion. It was here that. Emperor 
Humayun met with an accident, while coming down the 
staircase of the library, he received a mortal wound and died 
after some months. 

Zoo 

The Delhi Zoo is situated near ihe historical Old Fort, 
on Mathura Road, New Delhi. It is open to public visit daily 
between 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. Entry lee is -/20 paisa for adults, 
and -/J paise for children between the ages of 5 and 13 yeats. 
Children below 5 years are admitted free. 

Okhla 

Okhla is situated off the Mathura Road, about 13 kilometres 
(8 miles) away from Delhi. Agra Canal had been taken out 
from River Jam una at Okhla. The head-works was opened in 
March 1874 and consists of weir, undersluice, canal-head-lock 
and River Training Works, Okhla, besides being an anglers' 
paradise, is an ideal picnic resort having the privilege of river- 
side charm with th: newly built children's park. The main 
picnic spot along the bank has been converted into a terraced 
lawn with good seating arrangements. The road leading to the 
picnic area is spread. 

GENERAL INFORMATION 



(a) Area 

ib) Popnlttion 



1497 Sq. Kms. (578 sq. miles). 
45 Lakh9 (1971 census) 



63 



(c) Latitude 



239 meters (785 ft.) above sea level. 



id) Climate Winter : Mean Max. 33-7*^0 (92 66°F) 

Mean Min. 6 8°C (44 24°F) 

Summer : Mean Max. 4 1 '2^0 (106*1 5^F) 



Mean Min. 2r4"C (70-62°F) 
Rainfall 66 centimeters (26") 
(Mid. June to end of August) 

Season : October to March 



(e) Type of clothing required : 

Warm clothing in Winter : 
Cotton in Summer. 



TRANSPORT AND COMMUNICATIONS 



(a) Air Connections : Delhi is connected with all the major 



cities of India by regular air services 
operated by the Indian Airlines Corpo- 
ration. These are Caravella services 
linking Delhi with Bombay, Calcutta 
and Madras. There are also Viscount 
Skymaster Fokker Friendship and Dakota 
services. 

Delhi is an International Airport and is 
served by Air India, Aeroflot, Air, 
France, Aryans, Afghan, Airlines, British 
Overseas, Airways Corporation, Indian 
Airlines^ Corporation. Lufthansa German 
Airlines, Pan American World Airways, 
Qanias Empire Airways, Royal Dutch 
Airlines (K.L.M.) and Royal N^nal Air- 
lines Corporation. 



(b) Rail CoDQCction : Delhi is connected by rail with all the 
major cities of India. 



(/) Language spoken 



: Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi and English. 



64 



The Railways operate a special train between 
Delhi and Agra called the Taj Express, 
leaving New Delhi Railway Station at 7.15 
hrs returning to New Delhi at 22-05 hrs. 
the same day. 

N B. Foreign tourists may kindly contact 
the Northren Railway tourist Guide. 
Commercial Branch. Baroda House 
Curzon Road, New Delhi (Tel 45489), for 
assistance in railway bookings. 

(c) Road Transport : Delhi is connected by road with all the 
major cities in India. 

Bus : Delhi is connected by regular bus services 
with Agra, Alwar, Amritsar, Bharatpur, 
Chandigarh, Dehrudun, Jaipur, Hardwar, 
Mathura, Mussoorie, Nainital, Nangal, 
Patiala, Almora etc. 



DELHI SIGHTSEEING 

COACH TOURS OPERATED BY INDIA TOURISM 
DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION (ITDC) 

Starting from and India Tourism Development 

Reservation at : ' Corporation L- Block, 

(6.00 hrs. to 22.00 hrs Radial Road No. 6, 

daily) Connaught Place, New 

Delhi. 

New Delhi Summer 07.15 to 10.30 hrs Jantar Mantar, India 
Tour I Deluxe Gate, Humayun's Tomb, 

Daily Winter 09.15 to 12.30 hrs. Qntab Minar. Lakshmi 
A'C Narayan Temple. 

Old Delhi Summer 1 1.00 to 13 40 hrs. Ferozeshah Kotla, 
Tour II Deiuxe Rajghat, Shanti Van. Jama 

winter Daily 1330 to 17.40 hrs. Masjid Red Fort. 
A/C 



65 



Tour III 9.30 hrs to 14.30 hrs. 
On Fridays, 
Saturdays & 
Sundays only 

Tour IV. 07.00 hrs. to 13.00 hrs. 
On Sundays only 

Fares (incusive of entrance fee) 



Nehru Museum National 
Museum, Zoo, International 
Dolls Museum and Gandhi 
Museum. 

India Gate, Tughlakabad. 

Suraj Kund, Buddha 
Jayanti Park. 

Deluxe Air Conditioned 
Tour I Rs. 7.00 Rs. 30.00 

Tour II Rs. 6 00 Rs. 25.00 

Tour I & II taken on same day Rs. 12.00 Rs. 50.00 
Tour III .... Rs. 12 00 
Tour IV .... Rs. 12.00 

Tickets of the above tours are also sold at Govt, of India 
Tourist Office, 88- Janpath. New Delhi from 9.00 hrs. to 13 00 
hrs. and 13.30 hrs. to 16.00 hrs. 



SOUND AND LIGHT SHOW AT THE RED FORT 
(DAILY) 



Hindi 
English 



19.00 to 20 00 
20.30 to 21.30 



Rate 
Rs. 7.50 & 
Rs. 3.00 



Reservation at Govt, of India Tourist Office 9.00 to 1 3.00 
and 13.30 to 16 00 hrs. At ITJC, L- Block, Connaught Place. 
08 30 to 16.30 hrs. At Ashoka, Akbar and Janpath Hotel at 
ITDC Counter, Palam Airport 06.00 to 22 00 hrs. 

Current Booking— Half an hour before the performance at the 
ITDC window, Naubat Khana, Red Fort, 
Tel. 274580. 



66 



Starting from and 
Reservation at : 
(07 00 hrs. 
to 20.00 hrs. daily) 



NEW DELHI 09 00 to 
Tour I 12.30 hrs. 
Daily 

OLD DELHI 14.00 
Tour II 16 45 hrs. 
Daily 

Summer Time 

Tour I 07.30 to 10.45 hrs. 

Tour II IL 15 to 13.40 hrs. 

Fares : 

Tour ^ 

Tour II 

Tour I and II taken on same day 



Delhi Transport Corpora- 
tion Office (Near Air 
France). 1st Floor. 
Scmdia House, Con- 
naught Place New Delhi. 
Tel No. 4509. 

Jantar Mantar, India 
Gate, Humayun's Tomb. 
Qutab Minar, Lakshmi 
Narayan Temple. 

Ferozeshah Kotla. Rajghat 
Shanti Van, Jama Majid, 
Red Fort. 



Deluxe 
Rs. 4 50 
Rs. 3.50 
Rs. 6.00 



TO AGRA BY TAJ EXPRESS 

Ar^r 'f New Delhi Railway Station. Arr. 10.05 P.M. 
Re"ur'„ Fa're'' ''- ^'"pirst Oafs ^'ation Dcp roo P.M. 

CONNECTING SIGHTSEEING TOTTR<2 r^ftu 

able (by Bus) at A era Th/? of the city are avail- 



67 

BUS FARES 

(1) Ordinary • Rs. 10.05 

(2) Deluxe ,0>' Rs. 15 60 

(3) Deluxe including ''Md drinks Rs. 17.35 
(1) Deluxe including cold drink, lunch & tea Rs. 25.40 
(5) Air Conditioned Coach Rs. 33.10 

Coach fares are less by Rs. 1 .50 on Fridays when there is no 
entrance fee to mounments. 

By Coach (Daily) De luxe : The tour covers Taj Mahal, Agra 

Fort and Sikandra Fares (inclusive 
of lunch & tea) 

Delhi Dep. 07.20 hrs Rs. 70.00 (Adult) 

Agra Arr. 11.10 hrs 

Agra Dep. 16.10 hrs Rs. 40.00 (Child between 

3-12 years) 

Delhi Arr 21.10 hrs 

Moseams and Art Galleries 

Air Force Museum Timings: 10.00 to 18.00 hrs. 

Palam (Mondavs closed). 

Tel. 391261/375. Entry free. 
Crafts Museum Timings : 10.00 to 17.00 hrs. 

Thapar House, Janpath Closed on Sundays, 2nd Saturdays 

of each month and Government 
holidays. 
Tel. 311147. 

Dolls Museum. Nehru Timing : 10.00 to 18.00 hrs. 
House, Bahadur Shah Closed on Mondays. 
Zafar Marg Entrance : Adults Rs, 0.50 

Children Rs. 0.25 

Tel 271925. 

Gandhi Smarak Timings : 09 30 to 17.30 hrs 

Sangrahalaya Closed on Mondays 

(Museum) Entrance : Free 



68 



Opposite Rajghat 



Indian War Memorial 
Museum, Red Fort 



National Gallery of 
Modern Art 
Jaipur House 



National Museum 
Janpath 



Nehru Memorial 
Meseum, Teen 
Marg 



Red Fort Museum 
of Archaeology 



Tibet House 
16 Jorbagh 



MurU 



Film shows on Mahatma Gandhi's 
life and works are held on Sundays 
from 1^.00 to 17.00 hrs. 
Tel. 2747^^. 

Timings : 10.00 to 16.00 hrs. 
No entrance fee 
Closed on Friday 
Tel. 277735 

Timings : 10.00 to 17.00 hrs. 
Closed on Mondays, Holi, Id ul- 
Zuha, Mahatma Gandhi's birthday^ 
Dus&ehra, Deepavalt. Republic Day 
and Independent Day. 
Tel. 382835. 



10 00 to 17.00 hrs. 
Mondays and certain 



Timings 
Closed on 
holidays. 

Entrance Fee : Rs. 0.25 on Tues- 
days, Wednesday and Thursdays* 
Rs. 1.00 on Fridays. Free on Satur- 
days, Sundays and gazetted holidays 
Film Shows : On Saturdays and 
Wednesdays at 14.30 his. 
Tel. 385441. 

Timing: 09.30 to 13.00 [hrs. and 
14 00 to 17.00 hrs. 
Closed on Mondays. 
Entrance : Free 
TeL 375197. 

Open from sunrise to sunset. 
Entrance Fee : Rs, 0.50 (for entry 
into Red Fort the sale of tickets 
closes at 17.00 hrs). 
Tel. 277735. 

Timings: 10.30 to 13.00 hrs and 
14.30 to 18.00 hrs 
Tel. 611515 
Entrance : Free 



69 



Other Art Galleries 



Badhkal Lake 



Tel. 

Delhi Shilpi Chakra, 
1 9 Shankar Market 44638 

Dhoomimal Art 

Gallery, 8 A Connaught 

Place 44287 

Fine Arts Gallery 

Rafi Marg 381315 

Gallerv Chanakya, 
1 14 Yashwaot Place, 
Chaoakyapuri 626556 

Gallery Lalit Kala, 
Rabindra Bhawan, 
Ferozeshah Road 387241 

Gallery Amarpali, 

D-1 A Green Park 79152 

Gita Gallery, Oberoi 
Intercontinental 38 161/458 

Konarak Art Gallery, 
E-29 South Extension 
Market, Part II 622052 

Kumar Art Gallery, 
Sundar Nagar and 
Ashoka Hotel 618875, 370101 

Kunika-Chemould, 

Cottage Industries 

Emporium 43704 

Sridharani Gallery, 

225 Tansen Marg 44297 

Yavanika Sangeet 
Natak Akademy, 
Rabindra Bhavan 387246 

ExclosioD and Picnic Spots 

32 km Picnic spot at an artificial 
lake. Boating available. Diversion 



70 



Ballabgarh 
Chakravarty Lake 

Dasana 
Dhansa 
Dharuhera 

Hindon 
Okhla 

Sohna 

Sultanpur 

Prohibition 

h 
r 



at Faridabad on Delbi-Mathura 
highway. 

36 8 km Lake and fishing spot on 
Delhi- Agra highway. 

132 km on Delhi- Amritsar Road. 
Artificial lake. 

40 km on Delhi-Ghaziabad road. A 
pleasant spot on the canal bank 
amidst a mangogrove. 

41 km on Delhi-Najafgarh road. 
Restful spot amidst rural surround- 
ings with an excellent rest house. 

72 km on Delhi-Jaipur highway. 
Jungle Babbler Tourist Complex 
comprising an excellent rest house 
amidst rural surroundings. 

19.3 km on Delhi-Hindon road. 
Fishing cum picnic spot. 

11.8 km on Delhi-Mathura road. 
Picnic spot , near Jamuna Canah 
Fishing and yachting. 

56 km on Delhi Gurgaon-Alwar 
highway. Sulphur springs said to 
possess curative powers. 

42 km via Gurgaon township and 
Farrukhnagar. Bird Sanctuary. 
Tourist Rest House. 

Liquor available without permit. It 
is ho '^ ever not served in public 
places including restaurants and 
public rooms of hotels. 
Dry days: Wednesdays, 1st and 
2nd of every month and national 
holidays. Liquor shops are closed 
on these days. 



71 



ACCOMMODATION 



Western Style (approTed by the Department of Tourism) 



Name 


Address 


Phone No. 


Akbar 


Chanakyapuri, Yashwant 


370251 




Place 


Ambassador 


Sujan Smgb Park 




/\siioica 


5UB Cnanakyapuri 


3 /UlUi 


ijiiagirato ralace 


Bnagirato Palace Cnandni 


2y6223 


Hotel 


Chowk Delhi 


Broadway 


Asaf All Road 


273821 
(5 lines) 


Claridges 


1 2 Aurangzeb Road 


619411 


Diplomat 


9 Sardar Patel Marg 


372003 


Flora 




273634 


iLupci JaJ 


Tin ^ n 

janpam 


31151 1 


Janpath Hotel 


Janpath 


31 IJyl 


Lodhi 


Lala Lajpat Rai Marg 


619422 


Manor 


77 Friends Colony 


03 lUoZ 




Mathura Road 


Metro 


Janpath 




Nirula's 


1 Rlr>ck Connaiicht Circus 


44305 


Oberoi Inter- 




386161 


continental 


Dr. Zakir Hussain Road 


Oberoi Maidens 


7 Alipur Road 


221591 


President 


4/2 3-B Asaf Ali Road 


277836 


Qutab 


Off Sri Aurobindo Marg 


79191 


Ranjit 


Maharaja Ranjit Singh Road 


275021 


Rajdoot 


Mathura Road 


79583 


Tera 


2802 Bara Bazar Kashmere 






Gate Delhi 


221571 


Vikram 


Ring Roid, Lajpat Nagar 


625639 



72 



YMCA Tourist 



Hostel 


Jai Sin^h Road 


311915 


ybrk 


K Block Connaught Circus 


45906, 45959 




Other Hotels 




Agra Hotel 


16 Daryaganj Delhi 


278041 


Airlines Hntpl 


Onn NIew Delhi Railwav 


517571-3 




Station 


Askfi Guest House 


14 Scindia House 






Kasturba Gandhi Marg 


48493 


Bright 


M 85 Connaught Place 


48016 


Fonseca Hotel 


1 Mansingh Road 


383445 


Groves 


3/17 Asaf All Road Delhi 


271981 


India International 






Centre 


Lodi Estate 


619431 


loternatlonal Youth 






Centre 


C^trirn\ctr Road Chanalcvanuri 


373631 


JVCsiI 


iviain isazar r anargauj 


27'} 446 


L.a2una Guest 


44868, 42600 


House 


Scindia House Janpath 


Madras 


Connaught Place 


40595 




(for Indian Nationals only) 




Marina 


Connaught Place 


42201 


Meva 


Opp. Town Hall 






Queens Garden Delhi 


269482 


Moti Mahal 


Netaji Subhash Marg Delhi 


274971 


Palace Heights 


Behind Odeon Cinema 


42333 


Connaught Place 


Prabbat 


D Block Connaught Place 


40502 


Regal 


S.P. Mukherjee Marg Delhi 


266971 


Rex 


4 Netaji Subhash Marg 


272440 


Ringo Guest House 


17 Scindia House 


40605 


ShaVahar 


1 Daryaganj Delhi 


273537 



73 



Hardhian Singh Road 
Karol fiagh 

M Block Connaught Circus 



Sobti 

South India 

Boarding House 

Tourist Holiday 
Home 

Tourist 

YWCA International 
Guest House Parliament Street 



Tel No. 
569035 

48188 



7 Link Road Jangpura 
Ram Nagar 



78135, 618797 
263641 

311989.311561 



Other Accommodatioii 



Camping Grounds 



Restaurants 

Indian and International 
Cuisine 



Tourist Camping Site 

Jawaharlal Nehru Marg 

Opp. Irwin Hospital 2*8929 

Tourist Camping Site 
Qudsia Gardens Opp. 
Inter State Bus 

Terminal 222801 

Bhuri Bhatiyari Ka Mahal, Link Road 
Re 1 for members and Rs 2 for 
non-members. 

Bharat Scouts & Guides Camping 
Ground, Near Humayun*s Tomb, 
Nizamuddin. 



Embassy, Gaylord, Kwality, Milk 
Bar, Minar, Parlour, Standard, Soca, 
United Coffee House. Volga, Wengers, 
Yorks (all in Connaught Place area) 
Auberge, Oberoi, Maidens; Kohinoor, 
Central Court Hotel; Gulnar, Janpath 
Hotel, ; Maharaja, Ranjit Hotel ; 
Mehrab, Lodhi Hotel ; Orbit, Janpath 
Hotel ; Peacock, Ashoka Hotel ; 
Rotissetie, Ashoka Hotel ; Safari. 



74 



Mu hlai and Taodooii 



Chinese 



Japapese 



Central Court Hotel ; Sheesh Mahal, 
Akbar Hotel ; Tavern, Hotel Imperial; 
The Taj, Oberoi Intercontinenial. 

Aashna, Hotel Ambassador, Bar-e- 
Kabab, Ashoka Hotel ; Khyber, 
Kashmere Gate ; Moghual Room» 
Oberoi Intercontinental ; Moti Mahal, 
Daryaganj ; Peacock, Ashoka Hotel ; 
Sheesh Mahal. Akbar Hotel; Tandoor, 
President Hotel. 

Aka-Saka, Defence Colony ; Cafe 
Chinois, Oberoi Intercontinental ; 
Chinar, Connaught Place ; Chinese 
Room, Nirula's Hotel ; Fujiya, 
Malcha Marg ; Ginza, Connaught 
Circus ; Golden Dragon, Vasant 
Vihar Market ; Mandarin Room, 
Janpath Hotel ; Mikaoo. Connaught 
Circus ; Sakura, Vikram Hotel ; 
Shanghai, Hotel Diplomat ; Shangrila, 
Central Court Hotel. 



Fujiya, Malcha Marg. Chanakyapuri, 
Ginza, Connaught Circus ; Golden 
Dragon, Vasant Vihar Market. 

Kashmiri Santoor, Hotel Ranjit. 

Vegetarian Lodhi Woodlands, Lodhi Hotel ; 

Sudh Vegetarian, Regal Building. 
Coffee Shops Apsara. Hotel Alka , Cafe Espresso, 

(Open 24 hrs) Oberoi Intercontinental ; Eldorado, 

Hotel Rajdoot ; Madhuban, Akbar 
Hotel, Open House, Janpath Hotel ; 
i Samovar, Ashoka Hotel ; Shah Naaz, 

Hotel Imperial 

Restaurants vi'ith Cabaret Eldorado & Starlit, Hotel Rajdoot : 

Maharani, Claridges Hotel ; Samrat, 
Vikram Hotel; Tavern, Hotel Imperial; 
The Supper Club. Ashoka Hotel. 



75 



Discotheques Asylum, Greater Kailash ; Caves,. 

Greater Kailash ; Cellar. Regal 
Building ; Sensation, Oberoi Maidens; 
Tabela, Oberoi Intercontinental ; 
Wheels, Hotel Ambassador. 

Other Restaurant.^ Bankura Cottage Industries Empo- 

rium ; Ashiana, Lodi Gardens ; 
Frying Pan, Safdarjang ; India Coffee 
House, Theatre Communications 
Building : India Coffee House, Mohan 
Singh Place ; Ramble, Connaught 
Place. 



CINEMAS 

Name Tel. No. 

Ajanta ; A jay End- 18 39-1040 

Alankar Cinema Bldg ; Laj Ngr 1 1-24 62-1460 

Alpana : M Town-9 22-3 3 1 1 

Amba ; S Mandi-7 22-1166 

Defence Services Cinema ; Di Cantt-10 39-1050 

Defence Services Cinema : Red Fort-6 27-4597 

Delite ; A. Ali Rd-1 27-2t;05 

Eros ; J. Pura Extn-14 7-4642 

Excelsior ; Nr H Qazi Police Stn-6 26-164& 

Filmistan ; Model Basti-6 51-3821 

Golcha ; D Ganj-6 27-2211 

Imperial Talkies ; Chuna Mandi P Gani-55 27-7453 

Jagat ; Nr J Masjid-6 26-2781 

Jubilee Talkies ; Bhai M.D. Chowk Ch Ch-6 26-559S 

Khanna Talkies ; P GaDi-55 27-7669 

Kumar ;Ch Ch-6 26-27 iO 



76 





Tel. No. 


Liberty (Vijayshree Ltd) 




198GuruGSMrg.5 


56-2998 


Luxmi Palace ; Gandhi Ngr-3l 


21-2243 


Majistic ; Ch Ch-6 


26-5069 


Minerva ; K Darwaza-5 


22-5225 


^oti Talkies ; Ch Ch-6 


27-5693 


Naaz ; Jhandewalan Est-55 


56-4693 


Natraj : Moti Ngr-15 


58-7382 


New Amar Talkies ; Aj-Darwaza-6 


26-4155 


Noveity ; S.P. Mukerjee Mrg-6 


26-3142 


Odeon ; Con. Pl-1 


4-4244 


Palace ; Roshanara Rd-7 


51-6155 


Palam Cinema : Dl Cantt-10 


39-1440 


Paras Cinema ; Kalkaji Distt Centre- 24 


63-0841 




J 4 0851 


Plaza Theatre ; Con PM 


( 4-2898 


Race Course ; Race Course Rd-1 1 


61-7627 




( 31-2053 


Regal Theatre ; Regal Bldg- 1 


( .31-2245 


Rilz ; K Darwaza-6 


22-5454 


Rivoli Theatre ; Kharak Singh Mrg-1 


31-2227 


Shiela Theatre ; D.B. Gupta Rd-55 


51-7535 


Stadium ; National Stadium- 1 


38-3307 




( 7-2456 


TJphaar ; Green Pk Extn Mkt-16 


( 61-8993 


Vivek ; 5 Ptl Ngr-8 


58-7101 


West Eud Talkies ; P. Nath Mrg S Bzr-6 


51-4104 



77 



Name 

Afghanistan 

Algeria 

Argentioa 

Australian 

Belgium 

Bhutan 

Brazil 

Bulgaria 

Burma 

Chile 

China 

Cambodia 

Congo 

Cuba 

Czechoslovakia 

Denmark 

Ethiopia 

Finland 

France 

German Democratic 

Republic 
German Federal 

Republic 
Greece 
Hungarian 
Indonesia 
Iran 
Iraq 



EMBASSIES 



Address 


Phone 


9 A Ring Road 


622161 


13 Sunder Nagar 




C 27/28 N D.S.E. Part III 




18 J Bagh 3 


v> I 1 JO 


7 G. Links 3 


/v 1 1 o<c 1 

01 loo7 


A 1/21 Shanti Nilfptan-'?'^ 


670561 


8 Aurgz Road 


ol /o52 


150 G. Links 3 


01 yji 3 


3/iO F Nyaya Mare Ch. Purl 


CI IKJXCJ 


1/23 Shanti Niketan 23 


671718 


Shanti Path Ch. Puri 21 




82 D. Micha Marg 21 


■^7771 1 
o 1 c 1 1 \_ 


5 G. Links 3 


u 1 7*rjj 


56 Ring Road 




45 Sunder Nagar 


618381 


6 G Links 


618354 


29 P. Raj Road 


611326 


42 G. Links 3 


617810 


2 ClUT7Ctn Rna/t 


618021 


2 Nyaya Mg. 




6/50 G. Shanti Path Pur; 


74361 


188 J Baoh 


617800 


15 J Bagh 




50 A Ch.Puri 


75988 


37. G. Links 


611184 


33, G. Links 



78 



Ireland 


13 J. Bagh 


617435 


Italy 


13 G. Links 


618311 


Japan 


50 G. Ch. Fori 


74271 


Jordan 


Micha Mrg. Ch. Puri net^ 373495 


Korea 


1 1 Bara Khamba Road 


44584 


Kuwait 


19 Fr. Coly. 


630900 


Laos 


4, Cir. Road, Ch. Puri 


373541 


Lebanon 


10 Sdr. Ptl. Road 


373174 


Mexico 


136 G. Links 


718493 


Mongolian 


34 G. Links 


618921 


Mouuvu 


D. 1. Def. Coly 


623193 


Morocco 


190. J Bagh 


611038 


Nepal 


Bara Khamba Road 


48648 


Netherlands 


6/50 F. Shanti Path Ch Puri 


79271 


Norway 


Ktlya Mg. Ch. Pari 


75982 


Pern 


D, 290 Def. Coly. 


622939 


Pbilipines 


N. 50 Nyaya Mrg. Ch. Puri 


78491 


Poland 


22 G Links 


618599 


Romania 


9, Tis Jan. Marg 


019086 


Saudi Arabia 


1 E Maharani Bagb 


632181 


Spain 


1 2 P Raj Road 


611481 


Sudan 


6 J. Bagh 


619325 


Swedan 


Nyaya Marg. Ch. Puri 


74261 


Switzerland 


Nyaya Marg. Ch. Puri 


74255 


Thailand 


56 N. Nyaya Marg. Ch. Pun 


75985 


Turkey 


27 J. Bagh 


611921 


United Arab 


56 Sunder Ngr. 


611101 


L S S R. 


Shanti Path Ch Puri 


75875 


Vietnam 


72 Sunder Ngr, 


619200 


Yeman 


B. 59 Gr. Kailash 


613231 


Yugosla?ia 


3/50 G. Niti Marg 


72211 



79 



HIGH COMMISSIONS 



Name 


Aaaress 


Phone 


Australia 


j/ouy bnanti rain Cn. run 


7UJJ0 


Dangia Lrcso 


Dj IK) vjrr. Ivaliasn 


01 JODO 


Driiiso 


/^U Pilrl 

v.il. rlirj 


/UJ71 


\^anaaa 


onduil raill \-.u. run 


oly4ol 


Ceylon 


11 Rtiya ivirg cn. run 


370201 


Ghana 


2 O. Linlcs 


618391 


Kenya 


XL LI JLiei. v^oiy. 


618106 


Malasia 


J Laj Koad J. rura hxtn. 


72336 


New7ealaDd 


jy Lr. I^IDKS 


618281 




1 AO T RqoVi 


618034 




Ho VJ. JL^inKa 


61S139 


Tanzania 


E 106 Gr. Kailash 


632062 


Trinidad 


131J. Bagh 


618186 


Uganda 


HAG. Links 


618351 



80 



D.T C. Bus Routes for Places of Tourist Interest 
from Red Fart 



No. 


Places of Interest 




No ofDT C, 








Bus-routes 


1. 


Biria Temple 




215 


2. 


Central Secretariats 




20 




fNear Parliament Housed 






J, 




... 












A 
*f • 


r^nnnaufiht C^irciic 

Kj U U h U ^ U !■ ^/lavus 




onn 101 104 

^V/Vy JVlj iV"f 




f New Delhi) 






5. 


Darya Ganj 




315 




(Faiz Bazar) ^ 






6. 


Hauz Khas 




502, 503 


7. 


Humayun^s Tomb 




428 


8. 


India Gate 




21, 26 


9. 


Jama Masjid 


••• 






(Opposite Red Fort) 






10. 


Jantar Mantar 




101 


11. 


Kashmere Gate 


••• 


104, 122, 622 


12. 


Okhia 


••• 


403 


13. 


Qutab Minar 


••• 


502 


14. 


Railway Stations 


• 






Delhi Jn. 




502, 503, 403 




New Delhi 




22. 802 


15. 


Safdarjang's Tomb 


••• 


502, 503 



OUR OTHER PUBLICATIC 



O CO 

Is a, 

i\Li CM 



POLITICAL MAP OF WORLD R >^Bo g 

TOURIST ROAD MAP OF INDIA R« z^Hu^ 

„ Hindi Rj § ^ g 
RAILWAY & POLITICAL Q ^B ^ o 

MAP OF INDIA Rf < ^S ^ ^ 

„ Hindi R i='^Hi 
TOURIST ROAD MAP OF INDIA ^ ^= g^ 
WITH GUIDE R 
SEPERATE 

TOURIST ROAD MAPS OF DELHI 
AGRA, JAIPUR, KASHMIR, 
RAJASTHAN KARNATAKA 
MAHARASHTRA & GUJRAT Rs. 3/- Each 
SEPERATE 

TOURIST GUIDES OF DELHI, 

AGRA i& KASHMIR Rs. 5/- Each 

Picture Post Cards of : 
DELHI, AGRA, JAIPUR, KASHMIR 
& 

AJMERETC. 

35 MM COLOUR SLIDES OF 

All the Important Places of India also available. 
For Details write or Visit : 

LAL CHAND & SONS 

16, D A R Y A .G A N J, 
NEW DELHI- 11 0002 

Phone : 278358